Second Hand Dark Room Supplies - A Brief Customer Service Review

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Pete put me on to SDS via this thread http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/520-suppliers-developing-printing-materials-equipment.html
A few years ago I became lazy and stopped processing my own films, mostly through seeing the work of our mate Brain Moore and somewhat inspired by the other site he writes for Latest content | Film Photography Project I started our own http://www.realphotographersforum.c...181-bit-mini-film-photography-revolution.html ...

SDS.jpg

Since then I have bought a whole load of chemicals and bits and bobs all from SDS ...
Now those who know me best will know that I am all for supporting small independent companies that offer a good quality service!

Well it is my opinion that SDS are one of these companies!
Just before christmas I ordered a few bits and bobs that I knew I wanted from them, great, no issues, all came quickly and at a good price!

A few days ago I needed some advice on my issues with reeling 120 film on to plastic paterson style spirals.
I had a feeling metal ones might be the answer but having never used them I thought I'd ask someone who sells the things their opinion.

The response I got was what I consider to be the perfect response from someone who is effectively in a position to wish to sell me stuff.
I did not get any OTT sales spiel on how they are infinitely better etc ... what I did get was a balanced "Well, I personally find them a little easier for 120, but really both types of spiral require practice and the finding of the nack"
Good solid advice IMO

We then went on to discuss various chemicals, cost effectiveness vs quality etc
I had a bit of a list

3e6f4a22.jpg

He talked me through the advantages of using wetting agent ... even said that i could get away with using a drop of washing up liquid (something I already do) but also said a bottle of agent, for the time it lasts is worth having ...
After I had ordered and paid for all my bits, I remembered the last thing I wanted to ask about was a collapsible bottle for storing ID11 ... After a brief discussion he said he had some in stock, I said not to worry I would order one on the next (inevitable) order ... well it seems he chucked one in for me anyway ...
Now dont get me wrong, im not saying he is going to give you free stuff... what I am saying is that that sort of thing, for me at least is always a sign of an awareness of customer relationship!

On his site it says

SDS is a company specifically designed to give you a personal service. With minimal overheads we offer superb prices on pre-owned and new darkroom equipment, and on materials. We also have time to listen to your individual needs and are happy to advise you on anything from the advantages of a particular safelight to the complete design of your darkroom. Our reputation has been built on providing an excellent service to all our customers.

A very truthful statement in my opinion!

So to conclude, SDS gets my whole hearted recommendation!
http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/

Great recommendation Hamster!
I'm going to look at there site tonight I think. :)

Do!
If you want to use the same kit I showed you how to use, you are looking for paterson
DARKROOM
scroll to ...
PATERSON SUPER SYSTEM 4 UNIVERSAL TANK (new)
but have a chat with him first, he may have a better deal on s/h bits...

I have bought a lot from SDS over the years. He used to run the business from his home but now has premises a short distance away and has a massive stock of equipment etc and I've picked quite a few bits up from him there, from enlargers and paper processors to film clips and buy virtually all of my film, chemistry and paper from him which is always delivered quickly and safely. Honest and fair and a very nice person.

Last edited:
Back