Critique Welcomed Smokestack Cotton Candy

Brian Moore

Driving through the Anacortes (Washington state) area late yesterday afternoon I was forced to pull off the road and get a couple of pictures cotton candy/candy floss emissions from the oil refinery. The color didn't last long as the sun soon descended behind the hills west of me.

Sigma DP1 Merrill.

Cloud-making factories...we seem to have a lot of them around here, but of the dull grey variety, not this pretty-in-pink variety.

I've been enjoying many of your landscapes on IG, but this is the first - iirc - industrial landscape I've seen from the area. Fascinating.

Cloud-making factories...we seem to have a lot of them around here, but of the dull grey variety, not this pretty-in-pink variety.

I've been enjoying many of your landscapes on IG, but this is the first - iirc - industrial landscape I've seen from the area. Fascinating.
There's not much heavy industry in these parts Rob. Some boat/ship building and this oil refinery and a few other things mostly related to fishing I guess. There are a lot of photographers though, but most of the work I see is pretty pictures of sunsets and the like. Nice, but not a big interest of mine. When I shot these images yesterday it gave me the feeling of shooting something substantial again.

The colours and detail in the smoke clouds are perfect to my eyes Brian. As Rob says, I've been enjoying your landscape shots on here, particularly with the Foveon as it's helping to inspire my use of the Sigma.

As way of critique, the portrait composition and distance favours the scene I feel, as you are immediately swept up with the smoke plume.

The colours and detail in the smoke clouds are perfect to my eyes Brian. As Rob says, I've been enjoying your landscape shots on here, particularly with the Foveon as it's helping to inspire my use of the Sigma.

As way of critique, the portrait composition and distance favours the scene I feel, as you are immediately swept up with the smoke plume.
Thanks very much, Wes. I appreciate your comments. I can't quite make up my mind which of the two I prefer, though the power lines and poles in the portrait one have a strong appeal to me. Thanks again, Wes.

These are great Brian - I do like a good billow!
My preference is for the portrait one too.
The place name Anacortes rings a bell - would I have passed nearby after getting off the ferry from Port Townsend and driving to Bellingham?

These are great Brian - I do like a good billow!
My preference is for the portrait one too.
The place name Anacortes rings a bell - would I have passed nearby after getting off the ferry from Port Townsend and driving to Bellingham?
Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

Anacortes: Yes. Anacortes has a ferry terminal and Bellingham is just about 40 miles north. What brought you out this way?

It was a couple of weeks of family holiday - we flew to Vancouver, drove all the way down to Redwood Park in northern CA, stopping off at the various interesting Cascades mountains on the way. Driving back, we took the coast road up to the Olympic Peninsula. My professional background is forestry, so it was a bit of a treat for me!
We spent the day of 9/11 at a deserted Mt Rainier, which was extremely weird.

It was a couple of weeks of family holiday - we flew to Vancouver, drove all the way down to Redwood Park in northern CA, stopping off at the various interesting Cascades mountains on the way. Driving back, we took the coast road up to the Olympic Peninsula. My professional background is forestry, so it was a bit of a treat for me!
We spent the day of 9/11 at a deserted Mt Rainier, which was extremely weird.
That must have been an epic trip for sightseeing.

Back