Snow above San Diego

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
We had a '100 year storm' come through Saturday night, with snow levels down to 2000 ft, and even hail where we live on the coast! :confused:

The front passed through in the early hours, and we were greeted with a clear and sunny day.

I'd done my planning on TPE - and headed south to shoot downtown San Diego with the snowy mountains behind.

The chosen shooting location was a military cemetery, with amazing views of San Diego and the bay, from Point Loma.

A little hazy, and a sunset shot would have been ideal, but I had an Oscar party to go to! :cool:

Here's a shot with the 300mm, f8 ISO100

web.jpg

In the foreground is North Island naval base, then the bay with the aircraft carrier, then downtown San Diego, then the backdrop of the snow covered mountains to the East.

And here's a shot from the same location with the 600mm - f8, ISO100.

web.jpg

Used the 10 sec self timer for the shots to keep the camera still, and used the 'live view' mode on the 5D2 to compose each shot and keep the mirror locked up.

I like the second one, it layer nicer i think, iand focuses the eye better ... there is still a lot to look at, but its easier to look at for me

Think I'll try a pano crop that effectively takes out all the foreground clutter

Back