So, What Else Do You Do?

I'm trying to think of something to trump a dissertation on ....... "Late Medieval Monophonic Secular Song". :rolleyes:

......... am I allowed to make something up ???? ........... Like how I designed the Internation Space Station for NASA or something.

Pete

I'm trying to think of something to trump a dissertation on ....... "Late Medieval Monophonic Secular Song". :rolleyes:

......... am I allowed to make something up ???? ........... Like how I designed the Internation Space Station for NASA or something.

Pete

Now that would probably be pushing the truth line a little :D

What?! Someone actually designed it?! I thought they just stuck bits on when they got bored!! ;)

Yep.......... Took me about three weeks. Using my trusty "Oxford Mathematical Instrument Set" that I kept from Junior School.

oxford.jpg

Lucky break.

Pete

as of next month, a translator/proofreader. fingers crossed.

don't worry, the scarcity of capitalisation is simply an artistic flourish!

i'm a dispatcher and signal timing engineer for the state's dept. of transportation. so we handle things like major accidents, evacuations, plane crashes or train derailments, etc.. anything that could possibly impact transportation of any sort. it's never the same day twice at work. we evacuated our own building yesterday due to a malfunction with the main a/c unit that flooded the building with fumes. last weekend we worked a major shooting at a soccer tournament. and in the meantime we handle things like debris in the roadway and watch tv or read.

my other main hobby is playing skyrim.

you wanna see weirdos Rob you should come along to my next club night lolol

Or visit Focus on Imaging 2013 if it is still on, some sights there I can tell you & why oh why do some people turn up looking like they are shooting a full production studio set up when it is an exhibition ?? They have huge zooms & telephoto lenses dangling around there neck for what ?

Or visit Focus on Imaging 2013 if it is still on, some sights there I can tell you & why oh why do some people turn up looking like they are shooting a full production studio set up when it is an exhibition ?? They have huge zooms & telephoto lenses dangling around there neck for what ?

Yeah, right on that man!

entering into the spirit of things? making an exhibition of themselves and their tiny equipment compensators. if any consolation, it's just as bad over here

why would you need your camera at one of these shows? unless your chasing models around of course :D

Does Focus have booth babes then?

People going to science fiction conventions or comic conventions dress in appropriate costumes, so why would gear-heads not do the same for a gear-head gathering? In all cases, it is the terminally nerdy thing to do.

People going to science fiction conventions or comic conventions dress in appropriate costumes, so why would gear-heads not do the same for a gear-head gathering? In all cases, it is the terminally nerdy thing to do.

But at Focus there is not really anything to shoot, unlike the comic book exhibition where you have characters walking around, Focus is supposed to be about the gear, there may well be say 2 stands on with models to demonstrate flash lighting but they are there to show techniques/sell gear, & besides, you do not need 400mm & 600mm lenses to shoot those do you ?? I have seen it with my own eyes !
Focus for me personally is finished & I do not want to go to it again myself, either visiting or working.

Must admit to being one of those who hasn't taken kit with me when attending but having exhibited there it was good to see people taking pics of my work as reference for possible work......so not all bad from carrying a camera round focus. :)

A varied group of people indeed!

I guess I can put something down here too...

I worked for a Council for 12 years, straight from school, never what I wanted to do but once I fell in it was hard to get back out! Made the break a couple of years ago to do something I should have done years ago and so, I'm currently doing a Chemistry degree :)

Interests include martial arts (Im a black sash in Wing Chun kung fu and have trained in karate and filipino martial arts for many years), cycling (road cycling although I cant go as far as Id like just yet!) and music (pretty much anything goes, if I like it, I listen to it regardless of what 'genre' its supposed to go in...although I dont play an instrument)

But at Focus there is not really anything to shoot, unlike the comic book exhibition where you have characters walking around, Focus is supposed to be about the gear, there may well be say 2 stands on with models to demonstrate flash lighting but they are there to show techniques/sell gear, & besides, you do not need 400mm & 600mm lenses to shoot those do you ?? I have seen it with my own eyes !
Focus for me personally is finished & I do not want to go to it again myself, either visiting or working.

The point I was attempting to make, was that the cameras and lenses themselves are the costume. They were not worn for the photography—they were there to mark him as a member of the cult, just as wearing a superhero costume at a comic con or a Star Wars costume at a SF con. Other fans admire the quality and detail of these costumes which gives the wearer status.

See Focus as a gear-con. Dorks who wrap themselves in their biggest lenses and multiple bodies are doing exactly the same thing. The one with the most gear plastered all over his body becomes the Prime Alpha Nerd, and expects unquestioning worship from the newbies.

Nothing whatever to do with photography.

I saw much the same status-seeking at camera clubs I addressed in the past. There always seemed to be some crusty old fellow with an obscure but pricey Leica with a Noctilux lens, looking down his nose at the rabble, while criticizing everything in sight. If he became a nuisance, you could get rid of him instantly by asking to see his photographs.

A varied group of people indeed!

I guess I can put something down here too...

I worked for a Council for 12 years, straight from school, never what I wanted to do but once I fell in it was hard to get back out! Made the break a couple of years ago to do something I should have done years ago and so, I'm currently doing a Chemistry degree :)

Interests include martial arts (Im a black sash in Wing Chun kung fu and have trained in karate and filipino martial arts for many years), cycling (road cycling although I cant go as far as Id like just yet!) and music (pretty much anything goes, if I like it, I listen to it regardless of what 'genre' its supposed to go in...although I dont play an instrument)

Peter - is the degree a full time gig, or are you fitting it in in your 'spare time'?

Back