Calla Lily Soft Focus Monochrome

When I created the image of the orange Cala using the Cambo, I simply used the lens that was on it. Today I switched to my favourite lens of all time, the Cooke 229 mm f1:4.5 Portrait lens (see link below for details). This is a soft focus lens that displays varying degrees of diffusion / glow depending on how far it is stopped down. In this instance it is at maximum aperture and so any softness is down to the lens. The only PP was a conversion to mono in Nik SilverEFEX Pro 2 via LR.

Calla%20Lily-6_zpsu2tat0ra.jpg~original

PhaseOne P45, ISO 50, 1/8s at f 1:4.5. Shot at a distance of ca 1.5 m.

The setup is shown below. The flower is about 30 cm in front of the black, synthetic velvet backdrop. The focusing spot is 1 m to its right and the soft box is about 40 cm about. The reflector is positioned 25 cm to its left and is angle to throw the light onto the front LH side of the flower. The camera is fitted with Compendium hood so you cannot see the lens. The Koala didn't help much - he never does, just hangs around on the Autopole all day long!

http://www.cookeoptics.co.uk/l/largeformat.html

Calla%20Lily-7_zpsna0pnyk9.jpg~original

Always taking the easy route aren't you Pete? ;)

Lovely shot Pete. Thanks for the explanation and the set-up shot, too. It's interesting to see. (Wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself even if I had the equipment.)

Hmm, maybe that was a bit cryptic. I will be taking the final images on film and printing them. One set will be on 6x6 and the second on 5x4". I won't have time this afternoon but tomorrow evening is mine, all mine! :)

Oh and thanks for the comment. :)

Excellent Pete. I like the subtle toning, it works well.
What has surprised me is the lamp, I purchased one from Homebase on offer £15 not so long ago and regretted it, being so large. Maybe I did the right thing and will get use from it. Must get a bulb.

Thanks, Rense. Thanks, Julian. The lamp? You mean the softbox. That is actually on a long, wall mounted boom arm attached to a Bowens 3K flash head. I'm using only the modelling lamp though. Anything with a large diffuse area would work though.

Thanks, Rense. Thanks, Julian. The lamp? You mean the softbox. That is actually on a long, wall mounted boom arm attached to a Bowens 3K flash head. I'm using only the modelling lamp though. Anything with a large diffuse area would work though.
Yes the big black Softbox although mine does not have the material to defuse the light, nor is it collapsible, but yes could use some fine material.

Back