Some dead yellow roses

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
This isnt actually the sort of thing id usually think to do ...
but im actually really pleased with it! ... but that maybe because taken me about 3 hours ... !
a lot of that was waiting for the light in my dining room to fade into subtle ...
30 sec
f/16
iso200
and a LOT of PP
i only started out doing it to practise sharpening for web too ... :)
I love the way Rudi's method sharpens things ... im not sure what it is, but since i saw his first photos here i liked it ... so i have stolen it ... (although perhaps not mastered it for some reason it looks better on one screen than the other??) cheers Rudi! :)

anyway photo ...

_DSC5386sharp.jpg

Aha, great stuff Hamish, love the details you captured here and a nice, different subject. Glad you like the sharpening :)

Cheers Rudi!

I think I need a bit more practice with the sharpening ... You mentioned it was camera body dependent, do you have any specific pointer for d3 use?

Very nice Hamish. Although it does not look like a massive deal of PP performed on it. It's a very nice composure. I take it you did use some form of stability?? Tripod?? What tripod do you have??

There is about 4 gradients controlling exposure, a lot of local correction to balance exposure, desaturation, desaturation on specific colours, adjustment of luminance of specific colours, a split tone, some vignette control, adjustments to curves, brightness, contrast, blacks, fill light, clarity ... Not to mention all the sharpening!
I'm glad it doesnt look like it though... :)

I have a http://www.manfrotto.com/product/83...fessional_Aluminium_Tripod_Black_without_Head
With a
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8374.31708.76884.0.0/804RC2/_/Basic_Pan_Tilt_Head_with_Quick_Lock

So, not much post processing then! LOL

Very moody - might look good with a 9 x 16 crop?

Cheers Rudi!

I think I need a bit more practice with the sharpening ... You mentioned it was camera body dependent, do you have any specific pointer for d3 use?

I think in general the FF bodies can handle a bit more sharpening (something like 150%, 1.0 and 0-0.5) than the cropped bodies. I think this is because of pixel density and thus pixel size. Some of the new, high MP crop sensor bodies, like the Canon 7D new Nikons are not tolerant of lots of sharpening at all.

One of the bodies that I have used, the Canon 1Dmk2 with its 8.3mp sensor that was 1.3 crop produced some of the smoothest images I have ever seen and ones that you could sharpen LOTS without showing bad effects. It had huge pixels!

What I really meant is that the PP has been carefully excicuted and doesn't look over that top. Although many adjustments have now clearly been mentioned.... It seems minimal due to it being done right.....

I seem to have a developed a bit of a penchant for 6x4 at the mo ... Not sure what's happened to me just recently, the last bunch of shots I have taken/pped I have been after clarity and ratios I don't usually choose to use ... To much looking at other people photos ... Its frazzling my mind ;) ...
I can't wait to see what effect this forum will have had on my wedding work!
I actually felt it might be slightly to tight a crop ... ... ?
Intertesting looking book!

Back