Stags During The Rut

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
was hoping for some action shots but failed......they were kinda scary with that bellowing they make, 2 came running right towards me...to say i nearly sh1t myself would be understatement, they ran around me at last minute thank goodness........

I took a fair few pics, many of which were in the undergrowth so not really that good or visible. these 2 were taken in a area of open woodland i came across so were easily visible & made a better image in my opinion

5107960920_6c462a8ee9_b.jpg

5107372085_b42c3fac0c_b.jpg

Daz

Yep, that first one has everything going for it - very sharp, great light, smooth DOF, you can see the sparkle in the eye - nice!

Impressed with the 100-400, if that's what you used?

yes i am rather impressed with the 100-400mm, especially the push pull idea..... i have heard that there are some versions that are rather soft, but i Dont think i got one of those, images are in general pin sharp........... however i have a fetish for sharpening even more during my processing lol

Next item on my Must Have list is a mono pod......this thing is heavy.......haha

I have a walking/hiking stick with a threaded attachment to act as a monopod. Less than 20 pounds from Jessops and it has shock absorbtion too! All I need now is a big lens to go with it!

Last edited:
First one gets my vote too, great shot.
As for the Mono-pod, you should have been at Slimbridge WWT reserve in September, you could have had a Benbo mono-pod with Benbo ball & socket head for free!!!

Like a complete pillock I left mine in one of the hides and when I returned for it it was gone:(:(:(.

I went with a Manfrotto monopod in Carbon Fiber - very light weight but super strong - and extends enough for me to shoot comfortably at my 6'2" height.

I dangle the 600 f4 and the camera off of it - so there's confidence for you!

First one gets my vote too, great shot.
As for the Mono-pod, you should have been at Slimbridge WWT reserve in September, you could have had a Benbo mono-pod with Benbo ball & socket head for free!!!

Like a complete pillock I left mine in one of the hides and when I returned for it it was gone:(:(:(.

omg gutted for ya glen...........have a quiet word with the Mrs she just "might" add it to your xmas present list haha

omg gutted for ya glen...........have a quiet word with the Mrs she just "might" add it to your xmas present list haha

I have dropped a couple of hints;), so we'll have to wait and see:confused:.

Do what I do Glen buy whatever it is and then say to other half oh by the way I bought this for xmas for me off you, there ya go wrap it up lol

other half says but its not a surprise then I say er yeah it was a surprise for YOU lol

I never thought of that Laurie lol.

BTW well done getting one of your shots on Autumnwatch (through the red button):cool:.

lol I always do it Glen, and cheers I was shocked when I seen that through the red button wasn't expecting that at all, some fab images on that gallery aint there

Do what I do Glen buy whatever it is and then say to other half oh by the way I bought this for xmas for me off you, there ya go wrap it up lol

other half says but its not a surprise then I say er yeah it was a surprise for YOU lol

only a welsh woman would come up with an idea like this.................haha

what's this autumn watch melarky about YOU NEVER TOLD ME.........lol

I mentioned it to u otherday on facebook or flikr under one , of your stag photos I think its there somewhere lol - it appeared on autumnwatch red button gallery quite a shock when it popped up on screen lol

Back