Starting a new photography website

Just images, no text. Trying out ClikPic. I'll be uploading a lot more once I find time, and figure out how to present the images.

http://farm3.clik.com/RMimages/ - not the best url, but it's a start.

Excellent site @Rob MacKillop, clean and clear. A few photographs for now, but still very interesting. I do love the Kolbenneblok series (already loved the photos you had posted on bablesberg-studio site on the same subject) and "Reflections on the Water of Leith" is wow!, fascinating.

Thanks, Gianluca. “Reflections of the Water of Leith” is from a year-long study of my local river at the time, in Edinburgh. I’ll be adding more to the site about that. I just noticed recently that the images on the bablesberg site have disappeared. Must ask @Pete Askew about that…

Nice job! The site is clean and minimalist without looking amateur. I think the font choices are a factor there.

I hadn't heard of Clikpic before, but based on a quick look it seems like promising competition for every YouTuber's recommendation of Squarespace.

Hmm…I did not realise that my old photography site was still online. I stopped paying for it a few years ago, and assumed it had disappeared. Here it is:

Now I’m wondering if I should abandon my new site, and develop the old one. Thoughts?

Sorry to dissent @Ralph Turner, but I think the new design is less conventional, you see the first one and say "ok, another WordPress site from a few years back" (elegant and seen before). The new site works quietly, letting the content do the talking. Just my opinion.
In any case both sites have great content, but I wouldn't advise you @Rob MacKillop keeping updating both (also because you still have a third site, last updated 2017?), and this forum to keep updated ;-)

[Edit]: Ah, and I forgot your YouTube channel. Am I still missing something?

Last edited:
Haha. I agree with both of you!

Gianluca, I have quite a few websites, though have closed quite a few down. To be honest, websites are not as popular as they used to be - not just mine. Most people used social-media sites only, possibly as their attention span is now down to three seconds... I'm wondering why have a website at all.

Haha. I agree with both of you!

Gianluca, I have quite a few websites, though have closed quite a few down. To be honest, websites are not as popular as they used to be - not just mine. Most people used social-media sites only, possibly as their attention span is now down to three seconds... I'm wondering why have a website at all.

I don't have a real answer for you, but I do not infrequently go to sites that are even 20 years old and I am glad they still exist. Not as much I can say about social-media which is generally made for quick consumption.

Rob, I have been myself in that position several times; a couple of websites had to be scraped, modified, or downright erased, due to various motives. I have come to a conclusion (which can still suffer alterations): sooner or later, we are drawn to a new design, new features, new this and new that. I do like the new one, although the old one is not shabby at all.

The best thing about modifying a website, or building a new one is that we have to re-assess our photographs. We see them with new eyes, most of the times. And this is a good opportunity to check past work, think of mistakes, learn from our own ones and so forth.

And yes, websites are not as popular as they once were. That said, a lot of people still love to peruse a website instead of one's social media account. A matter of perception of one's work, which when shared out in the middle of the social media mayhem cannot or will not be perceived in an accurate environment, probably.

@Rob MacKillop: I agree with @Julian Tanase. To complete the picture let me add a piece to the puzzle. Ask yourself how much feedback you want to get from visitors. If you want to get a lot of feedback surely your new site is not the best choice (better the old one at this point, or social media), but if you don't care about feedback or delegate other platforms for this purpose (e.g. this forum or Instagram) also a static site will perfectly do.

The best thing about modifying a website, or building a new one is that we have to re-assess our photographs. We see them with new eyes, most of the times. And this is a good opportunity to check past work, think of mistakes, learn from our own ones and so forth.

This is what I am finding, Julian. Curating one's work is an ongoing process. My old site is well laid out, and contains some text - it could do with more. The new one is more minimalist, and has some different photos, things that attract me more now. I think they are both not bad..

Back