Starting a new photography website

Thanks to everyone for your input here. You all make thoughtful comments, which I'll chew over.

Gianluca said "Ask yourself how much feedback you want to get from visitors." - you are right, that social media is better for feedback. No, I want the website to seem like a digital book equivalent, where people might go to contemplate some of the images, without the 'noise' of social media.

How much text is important? The new site has poetry with explanations, and I could add more text, but I don't feel that is always attractive. What I will not do is discuss hardware; cameras, lenses, etc, or even software editing programs, etc., as I am really not interested in or equipped to discuss them.

I'm also a bit annoyed with Wordpress, as they had a perfectly good system which I mastered, and then they brought in a stupid new system for people who hadn't mastered the old system, but there's no choice. I find the new way of doing things intensely annoying. That said, the ClikPic system is head scratching at times.

I'm not at a stage where my images warrant being published in a nice photography book, and I'm not sure I ever will be there. But a website showcasing some of my work doesn't actually feel egotistical. It just seems a nice thing to do for some of my friends and a few others.

Well, none of the above approached being a Decision! We shall see. Thanks again for the thought-provoking comments.

How much text is important?

If you make a photo site probably those who come to it just want to see the photos, but in your case the text is important and someone (a few) will want to read the poems and contextualize the photographs in a multilevel space. In my opinion you should be thinking about the latter, not the hit-and-run visitor.

This is what I am finding, Julian. Curating one's work is an ongoing process. My old site is well laid out, and contains some text - it could do with more. The new one is more minimalist, and has some different photos, things that attract me more now. I think they are both not bad..
No, both are all right, Rob. The thing is that I have tried both and to be honest, it seems that I cannot please everyone :) . When posting just photographs, I get comments saying "nice pic, you should've add some words", whereas if I post a story accompanied by photographs, I get comments like "well, you probably know a photograph speaks for itself" :) . Check the links for examples.

Now, I do not take photographs or write a few words in order for someone to make his/her morning coffee more tasty, so I do not mind either comments. Or am concerned with. I try to do what I believe I should do, and let them sort out whatever. I believe you should go for what you feel represents you and your approach to photography, sharing, publishing and such. Trust me, people who really understand will always find their way of seeing and reading between lines (or images, as it were).

I want the website to seem like a digital book equivalent, where people might go to contemplate some of the images, without the 'noise' of social media.
The option to have text is nice; I'm sure it would be pretty straightforward to add text to your new site. The navigation from picture to picture on the old Wordpress-based site is a bit irritating...in fact, that alone is enough to make me like the new site better! Having a way to go directly from one to the next would be a big improvement.

Gord - you mean scrolling is more irritating than clicking an arrow? I had one friend who looked at the new site and wondered why I only made square photos. He didn’t know you had to click on them to see the full image. So now I’ve had to give instructions on each page, “Click again and follow the arrows” 🙄

Julian - I understand what you are saying. You’ll never please everyone, so please yourself. One problem is I’m not sure exactly what I want! That doesn’t help, of course.

Very nice, Julian. I did, though, try to ❤️ one of your images, but was asked to sign in or create an account. But I guess that's more of a social media thing.

Very nice, Julian. I did, though, try to ❤️ one of your images, but was asked to sign in or create an account. But I guess that's more of a social media thing.
Not as such a social thing, as this site is mainly destined to selected works for presentations or portfolios. Sign up is free, no need to pay anything, and it allows you to play around with templates and stuff. I guess you can grab an idea or two from the way ot displays the image and information, which both can be replicated (more or less) on Wordpress using plugins or native script.

Gord - you mean scrolling is more irritating than clicking an arrow? I had one friend who looked at the new site and wondered why I only made square photos. He didn’t know you had to click on them to see the full image. So now I’ve had to give instructions on each page, “Click again and follow the arrows” 🙄

Julian - I understand what you are saying. You’ll never please everyone, so please yourself. One problem is I’m not sure exactly what I want! That doesn’t help, of course.
Evidently a brain cramp on my part! I have no explanation and no excuse. Maybe I was looking at another site at the same time?

Back