Sub-miniature film choices.

Tony Warren

I am currently investigating films for 16mm format use and a recent article on 35mmc by Geoff Chaplin led me to Rollei RPX 25. He had stand-processed 35mm in Rodinal 1:100 rated at ISO 100 and his results are impressively sharp and fine grained. So I gave it a go in my Minolta 16MG with stock slit down from 120 with favourable results.

My examples make an interesting comparison with Julian Tanase's architecture shot from Budapest considering they are from negatives 14mm x 10mm in size.

Geoff informs me that the film is the same as Rollei 80S and I have a 120 roll in the fridge so I will slit that down and run some through a modified 110 which gives me a 19mm x 13.5mm neg and process it normally in my standard Rodinal 1:50.

Attachments

• DSC08734.JPG
    DSC08734.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC08737.JPG
    DSC08737.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm glad to see this Tony and the results indeed look great. Thanks too for your added comment on my article.
Wikipedia ("list of photographic films") is a good source to find out what you're actually shooting. For example Adox Scala and HR50, RPX25 and Retro 80S are all supposedly Agfa Aviphot 80.

I'm glad to see this Tony and the results indeed look great. Thanks too for your added comment on my article.
Wikipedia ("list of photographic films") is a good source to find out what you're actually shooting. For example Adox Scala and HR50, RPX25 and Retro 80S are all supposedly Agfa Aviphot 80.
Thanks Geoff. Film technology has always been fascinating but even more so these days when the technology has moved on so far. A bit like cars though,with notable exceptions, they all tend to be very similar!

You should give Rollei ATP 1.1 a try, I got quite a good shots from that film. It is my understanding the film is not produced anymore, but can still be found (expired) on evilbay or some such places. The iron oxidation issue aside, I have found it to be a good companion for my Minox cameras. This link shows some of my results: https://juliantanase.com/rollei-atp-1-1-in-minox-camera/

One other film I like in 8x11 format is the old Pan F50, for its wide latitude and fine grain. The photograph affixed here is such one example. The second is Adox CMS 20, another good choice for slow film in my Minoxes.

Of course, there are a lot of options out there, all you need is time and opportunities :)

2021-01-17-0014.jpg

12799042544_ca2941234b_o.jpg

Last edited:
You should give Rollei ATP 1.1 a try, I got quite a good shots from that film. It is my understanding the film is not produced anymore, but can still be found (expired) on evilbay or some such places. The iron oxidation issue aside, I have found it to be a good companion for my Minox cameras. This link shows some of my results: https://juliantanase.com/rollei-atp-1-1-in-minox-camera/

One other film I like in 8x11 format is the old Pan F50, for its wide latitude and fine grain. The photograph affixed here is such one example. The second is Adox CMS 20, another good choice for slow film in my Minoxes.

Of course, there are a lot of options out there, all you need is time and opportunities :)

View attachment 20284

View attachment 20285
Thank you Julian. No experience of the Rollei film but there is such an array out there. I am impressed with your shot with the Adox which I have used in 35mm. I have a roll waiting to use in my newly made 35mm film stripper so this will promote it up the waiting list. I have used a lot of Pan F in the past but went off it when I had some poor results with 5x4. Agree with you about its grain and latitude and FP4+ is almost as good grain wise with care.

Back