Sunrise/set-moonrise/set Program

As a landscape photographer could someone explain to me what I would use it for?

As a landscape photographer could someone explain to me what I would use it for?
Keeping in mind that I'm not a landscape photographer and also that I have not yet used this program for any purpose, the first (and only so far) answer that pops to mind is timing. I know you travel distances to your favorite areas for picture taking. I'm guessing it would be useful to know when sunrise/sunset is at particular dates in the calendar, thus allowing you to plan your drives or extend your stays to take advantage of the most favorable light.

I downloaded this program today after reading about it on Flickr. Its a free download to desktops, but I believe there is a fee for downloading to mobile devices.

I haven't fully explored it yet but it seems pretty good at a casual glance.

http://photoephemeris.com
I use the Photogrhers Ephemeris on my iPhone. Works well. Lets me get a little more sleep some mornings.

The links on the old thread are all shot Pete - I'll do a new one here.

Let's say I want to shoot the sun setting, right down the line of the pier in La Jolla - so I need to know which days of the year it will set there, and at what time,

So I go to TPE, and find the location on the map - position the drop pin where I will be standing - then use the calendar to scroll through the year, looking for the sunset line (deep orange) to align with the end of the pier.

9922104204_39161fd932_o.jpg

This is around August 11th - and it shows sunset as being at 7:38pm

So I put this in my calendar, then head out on the 11th, making sure I am there in plenty of time to set-up and get prime position.

As 7:38 ish rolls around I get

7495770756_570140122d_b.jpg

Right on cue - couldn't have done it without the software.

Of course if I'd checked the tides as well, I wouldn't have got wet feet! :D

There is also a 3D virtual reality program for the iPhone which you can use on site - and wave you iPhone around in 3D and it shows you the track of the sun superimposed on the actual landscape in front of you - soooo cool!

It's called Photopills http://www.photopills.com

The video doesn't do it justice - the VR piece of the App is just mind blowing in the field

So you think up a good idea, share it on social media and then have to fight with 200 other people to get the shot you thought up in the first place (and there's some idiot on the rock jumping up and down). Brilliant! Or am I being an old grump?! ;)

So you think up a good idea, share it on social media and then have to fight with 200 other people to get the shot you thought up in the first place (and there's some idiot on the rock jumping up and down). Brilliant! Or am I being an old grump?! ;)
You old grump you! :D

Back