Take a seat for the show...

Anyway, despite my less than complimentary comments regarding our local weather, we do sometimes get glorious Scottish sunshine (maybe a little too much last summer - no rain for a month makes one a bit twitchy when on a small private supply). And I do like this shot. Btw the closest I've come to owning a 'Red Spot' is my little P155 slide projector (a rebadged Kinderman, I believe, though I did order a Colorplan lens to go with it).

I have to say, it does help when someone gives you a Leica for free!!

I’ve had a couple digital Leicas before, after selling 90% of my analogue gear which had shot up in price, allowing me to buy second hand. But when times were tough, they had to go as well. Having a gift of the Q3 recently has really given my moribund photography the shot in the arm it needed.

I loved my analogue IIIG, not so much the TL2, loved the Monochrom and now the Q3 - I’ve been very fortunate. Are they worth the money? Certainly they are worth the second-hand prices. But photography is a funny business, in that you can get great images from a cheap plastic Holga that are just perfect for the type of shot they provide. I’ve had some good shots from cheap gear. So Leicas are not necessary by any means. But the Q3 is unquestionably the best camera I’ve ever had. But then again, it won’t fit all circumstances. C’est la vie!

Last edited:
Indeed, technical and optical excellence isn't always what's needed to create a beautiful image. I got some surprisingly good pics from one of those anonymous all plastic cameras that came free with a clothes catalogue order. It can be fun playing with simple gear.

From a different angle, the sign is placed between the spires of two churches. It’s certainly thought provoking. Edinburgh is the home of the Scottish Enlightenment, a fightback against the endless religious wars of the past. That battle has not been won. A year or so ago we voted in a new leader of the Scottish parliament, a practising Muslim, and on the day he entered Bute House (the equivalent of 10 Downing Street) he insisted on a photo of the men of his family, plus his mother, in prayer. I don’t care which religion anyone belongs to, they are all the same to me, but to see religion returning to Scottish politics was a frightening thing. With the US seemingly drifting towards a theocracy…once again the world turns on its dark side.

From a different angle, the sign is placed between the spires of two churches. It’s certainly thought provoking. Edinburgh is the home of the Scottish Enlightenment, a fightback against the endless religious wars of the past. That battle has not been won. A year or so ago we voted in a new leader of the Scottish parliament, a practising Muslim, and on the day he entered Bute House (the equivalent of 10 Downing Street) he insisted on a photo of the men of his family, plus his mother, in prayer. I don’t care which religion anyone belongs to, they are all the same to me, but to see religion returning to Scottish politics was a frightening thing. With the US seemingly drifting towards a theocracy…once again the world turns on its dark side.
trust me, we're not drifting towards theocracy, we're just drifting. i've had a very unfortunate front row seat for the past 3.5 years and i don't know where we're going. there's no captain at the helm.

You know, it suddenly struck me that this shot would not look out of place in Ian Howorth's photo book, a Country Kind of Silence...

I have the book, and initially had mixed feelings about the work - I'm sure some would dismiss it as not 'proper' photography - but it's grown on me over time. It's more like a mood than a genre, somehow.
Well worth looking at I think, if you don't know his work. He has a website but it appears to be somewhat disued - a little searching online turns up articles with more of his work.

Back