Critique Welcomed The Monaro Stages Rally 2023

Stevenson Gawen

I've been a bit quiet lately - first had a go of flu (😫) then had a few hectic days helping with car preparations for the Monaro Stages Rally.
Which ran yesterday and went really well! So now I have 805 photos to sort through... although I was helping to service for my sister, there was a good spectator point only 10 minutes drive from the service park so I was able to take photos too.
I've only processed a couple at this point, but I'm happy with how they came out. As I hold an MA media accreditation I was allowed where the spectators weren't - which helps!

It's looking like this was the final event in this format/location, after I think six or seven years of annual events so I'm glad I was able to be there. It was held in the state forests near Bombala, only about an hours drive from home for me.DSC_8813_01.jpgDSC_8918_01.jpg
DSC_8628.jpg

Great action shots, Stevenson 😀. All the flying gravel and stones in the first shot almost looks as though it’s going to come raining down on that guy’s head 😵‍💫😁. How do you cope, gear-wise, with all that dust and dirt flying around?

Great action shots, Stevenson 😀. All the flying gravel and stones in the first shot almost looks as though it’s going to come raining down on that guy’s head 😵‍💫😁. How do you cope, gear-wise, with all that dust and dirt flying around?
Thanks. :) That shot (the red car?) was taken at 200mm so distance is compressed a bit - I think the chap is out of range... probably!

As to gear, good question but I don't have a definitive answer. I've been into motorsport for around a year and a half, which is also the period I've had my main Nikon kit. (not entirely coincidence...) So far no issues that I know of. Dust is the only real concern, as I don't really want to get in the way of rocks either... ;)

The camera is weather sealed, I think my main two lenses are too. Not quite sure about the tele, a rather battered Tamron 70-200 f2.8 but at least it doesn't have any telescopic bits. I like lens filters too!

All my kit is second hand, which for me seems to slightly lessen my fear of using it in situations that might not be exactly ideal. Oh, and it all gets a good wipe down when I get home to try and get rid of the dust.

Ah, yes, I imagine weather seals and filters cover most bases along with a good wipe down at the end of the day. Being too paranoid about one’s kit can sometimes lead to missed opportunities for great images (and I probably fall into this category lol)

I can't wait to see more of the series Stevenson - rallies really are exciting to see photoed. What did you mean servicing for your sister? Was she a racer?

I can't wait to see more of the series Stevenson - rallies really are exciting to see photoed. What did you mean servicing for your sister? Was she a racer?
Thanks Wes! Here's a few more.... I'm always rather aware of the fact that often (sort of by necessity) I take photos of most/all the cars from the same spot (in this case I could only access the one spot but found a different angle for the afternoon run) - which is great for the competitors, but possibly boring from a photographic perspective.😅

And yes, my sister is driving in... let me see... the first pic at the top of the thread, the black Fiesta. 🙂 Actually, come to think of it, if you zoom in you can see the name sticker on the window. She started out navigating for my brother, but now has her own car and they more or less take turns at entering events. Not at all sure who's faster..............
By servicing, I basically just mean filling up with fuel, and supplying sandwiches, when all goes well, but also fixing/trying to fix anything that goes wrong. Which can be hectic! Wasn't just me, our dad and a friend from the car club were there too. Mostly went pretty smoothly on this rally.

That was her second rally, last weekend she did another... so I've been busy photographing again.😄
My brother's car is waiting on parts - so she's making up for lost time!DSC_8662.jpgDSC_8682.jpgDSC_8908.jpgDSC_9197.jpgDSC_9058.jpg

Back