The Rule of Thirds is Ruling Me

Brian Moore

When I use my binoculars I automatically adjust the thing I want a closer look at to the bottom third of the view. (Where I live now I use the binoculars often to get a closer look at birds or aquatic creatures. The past week or so I've had the binos in front of my eyes more than I ever had in the 20 years or so I've owned them. Never considered the Rule of Thirds a binocular thing.) Anyone else do this automatically?

Not that I'd noticed, but I will be paranoid about it from now! :mad: I do have a tendency to line things up in my line of sight (I guess that won't be a surprise!) and I seem to have an internal 'spirit level' that can be very annoying; if something is a touch off I spot it immediately, and it drives me nuts until I have rectified it (living in a house built in the early 17th century can be a bit trying I can tell you!).

I have never done that with a pair of binoculars, but I have never been very good with rules anyway.
I know what you mean about old houses, Pete. The thing I have found is that when nothing in the structure is flat, level or straight, and you put something into it that is, it always looks wrong.

I don't always have the rule of thirds in mind, but do often make slight adjustments for what I consider balance, and sometimes that turns out to be the rule of thirds. But I wouldn't say I'm a slave to it. We use binocs a lot these days, with the garden and woodland birds in full song, and I can't say I've noticed me taking so much care over viewing them as when lining up a shot. But our binocs are not very good, and one day I'd like to invest in a good pair.

Back