Critique Welcomed The Spiv

Peter Roberts

32-Brooklands190512 097.jpg

Another re-enactment shot. We used to go to in lot of those sort of events. Great for photographing people who consciously put themselves on display and expect to be noticed. Sometimes we dressed 'in period' ourselves so as not to feel out of it.

Then doubts crept in. With the world as it is now and war seemingly edging closer to home is it right to celebrate an era defined by conflict? On the other hand it would be difficult to pick an era that isn't.

I have a lot of these sort of character studies that beyond family, friends and some of the subjects have not gone further than my files. Should I post any more here? I would not wish do so if it would cause offence to even one person. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Well I for one am not troubled by such pictures, and I’m definitely not one for reenactment personally. I love the previous picture and this one too. He’s very like the spiv out of Dads Army, I forget the character’s name. Was it Walker? I imagine there’s no anti-German sentiment in any of this, more a case of celebrating characters and perhaps even grand parents and the like. I imagine there is a lot of humour at their own expense too. And the music was great from that era.

But I understand your concern, Peter, so it is good you are canvassing opinion.

Well I for one am not troubled by such pictures, and I’m definitely not one for reenactment personally. I love the previous picture and this one too. He’s very like the spiv out of Dads Army, I forget the character’s name. Was it Walker? I imagine there’s no anti-German sentiment in any of this, more a case of celebrating characters and perhaps even grand parents and the like. I imagine there is a lot of humour at their own expense too. And the music was great from that era.

But I understand your concern, Peter, so it is good you are canvassing opinion.
Thanks, Rob. Yes, I'm sure he modelled himself on Private Walker. In so doing he has become a caricature of a caricature which I found amusing. It was, no doubt, the intention.
Rest assured there is no animosity in any of this. If there were I would most definitely avoid it like the plague.
And yes, there was also the music.

Depends on what you're celebrating I guess. To celebrate conflict would be off-putting to say the least, at least to me. But to celebrate the fashions or behaviors of a time-period is just fine.
Exactly what I worry about, Brian.
There is a fine line between celebrating and glorifying. Grown men playing at soldiers by staging set piece battles I find both distasteful and disrespectful.

Back