The Strap Buddy

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I saw a guy at the Photo Expo with one of these - it kept his camera flat against his body whilst over his shoulder on it's strap - very neat!

http://www.strapbuddy.com/index.html

CameraFade.jpg

Think I might give it a try, as I'm always bumping the lens hood into things whilst walking around with my camera sticking out all over the place.

Amazingly simple idea - can't believe it's taken this long for someone to invent it!

Model1.jpg

[video=youtube;mbf-HhjdBC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbf-HhjdBC4[/video]

Looks good - let us know how you get on.

If it gets the thumbs up you could take a few UK orders and send them to Hamish in a parcel, or some such wheeze.

$17 plus presumably shipping seems a bit steep though.

It's a little gizmo that gives you a new strap mounting point on the base of your camera.

This stops your camera flapping about with it's lens sticking out when carrying it over the shoulder - simple but effective.

Saw one guy at the show using one, and I was intrigued to find out what it was

That sounds interesting. One of the things I really like about the Mamiya 7 is the fact that you can mount the strap top and bottom on one side so it hangs vertically. Much more natural and, as Chris says, it doesn't stick out. This looks like it might get close.

It's a little gizmo that gives you a new strap mounting point on the base of your camera.

This stops your camera flapping about with it's lens sticking out when carrying it over the shoulder - simple but effective.

Saw one guy at the show using one, and I was intrigued to find out what it was

I got that bit, I was confused as to what Tim meant, but in te light of day, I guess he means if we all wanted one you could parcel a bunch up and I could send them out to people?? I think?? Still a little confused?? Tim??

Yes that's what I meant, just a stream of thought as it's only available in the US I think. It would only work if Chris was up for it and the payments could be sorted, and the shipping cost (including once they arrived in the UK) wasn't prohibitive. Probably a non-starter and maybe no interest as they seem expensive, so just ignore me!

PS I volunteered you Hamish rather than myself simply as you are the site owner and known to a lot of people here in real life, not because I wouldn't be willing to do it myself perhaps...

It's a good idea tim... if Chris is up for it ... I'd be happy to re-post the things ... Same goes for anything like that available from the US ... Within reason of course ... I don't want to be spending my whole life in the post office ... Maybe we could take it in turns to revive stuff ... As long as its above board and we declare things for import duty etc it's a good idea ...
Gary Fongs products also spring to mind as something that sent as readily available over here ...
If this place gets as big as I'd like I'll be looking at getting RPF branded versions of things like that ... But I gotta walk before I run eh

My first thought when I saw this post was 'Stadium Buddy' kind not the same thing though

I have ordered a large quantity of Strap Budddy from the Manufacturer in USA and they should be here in a week or so. :)

It is already worked out with Hamish so the sale of these helps the forum :)

Mark.

All sorted then :)

Now, about the forum order for the stadium buddy....

I've been using one of these on my camera for some time. Here's my take:

PROS:
It's very comfortable, as it keeps the camera in a nice, flat position against the body
It doesn't stick out
It keeps the strap out of the way when shooting (in the traditional spots for camera straps, it seems them are always in the way for me when I'm shooting)

CONS:
The little strap buddy screw can become loose and potentially fall out, which would send the whole thing crashing. I'm constantly checking it now to make sure after a few close calls.
Since only one side rotates, The strap is constantly getting twisted up and needs to be unwound (not a big deal, but a pain)
The mechanism squeeks after a bit
It's not very practical if you use a tripod at all, because you have to unscrew it and remove each time. I use a base plate, too, so having to constantly remove it and swap them is annoying. The one side that's still attached is not very convenient, either, while shooting on a tripod.

So in the end, I'd say give it a try if you don't use a tripod much. But if you do, opt for one of those systems that attaches both sides of the strap to the tripod mounting screw or base plate carabiner instead.

Chris, I'll give you mine when I see you on Friday if you like.

I use one too. Similar experiences although I've not noticed it being in danger of coming off.

I rarely use a tripod so don't have that issue. However it isn't possible to place it flat on a horizontal surface to take a shake-free photo unless you unscrew it.

So far I've not been inclined to stop using it, as the benefits when walking around are considerable.

Back