Critique Welcomed The Tower of Hope...?

Brian Moore

I'm quite sure I may have posted this image once before but I was looking at it the other day and I began to think about it differently, and that has prompted me to post it (again?).

Anyway, in the world of architectural photography I suppose this image would never pass muster due to the surrealistic bend in the structure as it climbs skyward. But--and here's where I started thinking differently about it--in a way the bend seems to suggest (to me at least) an arrogance of power, and despite the tower's name the postures of the people in the tower's shadow suggest hopelessness.

Thoughts? (Feel free to tell me I'm off my head.)

The Tower of Hope is a Richard Neutra design which was completed in 1968. It stands on the grounds of what was once called The Crystal Cathedral, but is now called the Christ Cathedral, it having been purchased not long ago by the Catholic Church.

Canon F1 and Canon FD17/4 with Ilford HP5 processed in Rodinal.

I have seen this before Brian, yet as you, when it came up on Filckr the other day I saw it afresh and thought it was a new one or different version. For some reason I see more in this one than the last time, I do believe sometimes you digest things forever and therefore in no doubt we see something different.
I also agree wholeheartedly with you that you are off your head in a good way ;) It is a stunning image and seeing your film shots I just could not stop myself today and in a junk shop came across a good condition Mamiya 645 1000s with 80 mm f2.8 lens and all seems good as new. No idea what they are worth so offered the generous sum of £35 and a done deal. Wondered if I'd done the right thing, this photo simply on an aesthetic level tells me I have.

I like it, Brian. You've given us another view of it before, I'm fairly sure. Does it have different floors within it, or is it one ground floor with an amazing upward surge to the heavens?

Julian - good purchase!

I have seen this before Brian, yet as you, when it came up on Filckr the other day I saw it afresh and thought it was a new one or different version. For some reason I see more in this one than the last time, I do believe sometimes you digest things forever and therefore in no doubt we see something different.
I also agree wholeheartedly with you that you are off your head in a good way ;) It is a stunning image and seeing your film shots I just could not stop myself today and in a junk shop came across a good condition Mamiya 645 1000s with 80 mm f2.8 lens and all seems good as new. No idea what they are worth so offered the generous sum of £35 and a done deal. Wondered if I'd done the right thing, this photo simply on an aesthetic level tells me I have.
Stunning purchase for 35 quid Julian! Good on ye, pal! Looking forward to seeing some medium format film images from you now. (I feel honored that I inspired you in some way to do that!)

Thanks for your comments, Julian. Much appreciated! :)

I like it, Brian. You've given us another view of it before, I'm fairly sure. Does it have different floors within it, or is it one ground floor with an amazing upward surge to the heavens?

Julian - good purchase!
I was wrong - it's the same shot. I've just remembered, the guy on the left.
Thanks, Rob. I've shot the Tower of Hope on a number of occasions with different cameras and from different perspectives. I may have posted another at some point. Glad you like it, Rob!

It certainly implies how powerful the Catholic church is, high and mighty. Good shot cannot be repeated often enough, right Brian?;)
Thanks, Ivar. You've summed it up quite nicely: High and Mighty. Much appreciated, Ivar.

Definitely posted before but I like that you have discovered something new and, based on your thinking / interpretation, I can see exactly what you mean. They all look truly dejected. The gleaming tower has made them realise that there is simply no point in trying to attain enlightenment!

Definitely posted before but I like that you have discovered something new and, based on your thinking / interpretation, I can see exactly what you mean. They all look truly dejected. The gleaming tower has made them realise that there is simply no point in trying to attain enlightenment!
Thanks a lot, Pete. Appreciate the comments.

Back