Theme: By Train, Plane, Boat or Car - images taken from moving vehicles

Stevenson Gawen

I thought this would be an interesting theme. I have more than a few of these, some recent examples of which I'll post here.
Do you have some too? If not take some. Don't break any traffic rules though... at least not on my advice! ;)

The only rule is that images must be taken on a journey, on a vehicle. Doesn't have to be in motion... stopped at a traffic light is fine!

Sydney CBD - shot through the (open) car window. Sony Nex5r, 30mm f2.8 SigmaDSC03392_01.jpg

First Class carriage corridor on NSW Trainlink XPT train. "Vintage" Fujifilm S5600 bridge camera.
DSCF5891.jpg

View out of window of same train. "Vintage" Fujifilm S5600 bridge camera.
DSCF5895.jpg

Sydney Harbour bridge. Shot through windscreen!
DSC03381_03.jpg

Last edited:
I thought this would be an interesting theme. I have more than a few of these, some recent examples of which I'll post here.
Do you have some too? If not take some. Don't break any traffic rules though... at least not on my advice! ;)

The only rule is that images must be taken on a journey, on a vehicle. Doesn't have to be in motion... stopped at a traffic light is fine!

Sydney CBD - shot through the (open) car window. Sony Nex5r, 30mm f2.8 SigmaView attachment 18508

First Class carriage corridor on NSW Trainlink XPT train. "Vintage" Fujifilm S5600 bridge camera.
View attachment 18506

View out of window of same train. "Vintage" Fujifilm S5600 bridge camera.
View attachment 18507

Sydney Harbour bridge. Shot through windscreen!
View attachment 18509
Number 3 I especially like

Great suggestion, Stevenson.
Here's a random selection of some that I knew where to find.

IMG_0010.jpgMind the closing doors
Minolta SRT101b / Rokkor 35mm f2.8 / FP4+ / Rodinal

IMG_0027.jpg
Old skool bus, old skool driving
Minolta XD7 / Vivitar 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 / FP4+ / Rodinal

DSCF0099.jpg

Fares please
Fujifilm X100s

IMG_20220612_093249614 (1).jpg

From the wheel of my Austin A30, queuing for a show
Phone

And one from the archive.

16-TimeitwasSco_0043.jpg
Western Isles ferry, Scotland 1977
Minolta SRT303b / Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Agfa CT21 (Probably)

Last edited:
@Stevenson Gawen, I really like your photos, the ones in trains in particular, that are "creamy," textural and evocative of the idea of train travel.
I also like the idea of sharing these photos taken from the inside out as you travel. Unfortunately, I realized that among my photos there are no such photos or they frame people that I don't want to publish for privacy issues.

Perhaps the only one I can publish is a low quality photo from about 20 years ago. Here my son, then a child, had arranged his toy friends in a row along the window, facing outward so they also could enjoy the running view. The elephant, the Donald Duck, his favorite little lion (called Giacomino) and Pinocchio.

I was looking at my son, he was looking at them, and they looked out. A cascade of gazes, all focused on the journey going on beyond that window.

It was my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix SQ.

sq-dscn7232.jpg

Last edited:
Great suggestion, Stevenson.
Here's a random selection of some that I knew where to find.

View attachment 18511Mind the closing doors
Minolta SRT101b / Rokkor 35mm f2.8 / FP4+ / Rodinal

View attachment 18512
Old skool bus, old skool driving
Minolta XD7 / Vivitar 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 / FP4+ / Rodinal

View attachment 18513

Fares please
Fujifilm X100s

View attachment 18514

From the wheel of my Austin A30, queuing for a show
Phone

And one from the archive.

View attachment 18515
Western Isles ferry, Scotland 1977
Minolta SRT303b / Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Agfa CT21 (Probably)

"Fares please" is a magnificent detail in the story.

Number 3 I especially like
Thanks Ibraar!

@Peter Roberts that's a fine selection! Particularly captivated by the last one.
ones in trains in particular, that are "creamy," textural and evocative of the idea of train travel.
I also like the idea of sharing these photos taken from the inside out as you travel. Unfortunately, I realized that among my photos there are no such photos or they frame people that I don't want to publish for privacy issues.
Thanks Gianluca! Totally understand about the people photos too - I have some photos just like that which I've rather fond of but won't post online out of respect for the subjects.
I very much like the photo you did post though - very evocative.
Margerie Glacier
Ooh, nice! I was kind of wondering how many photos from boats/ships would turn up. That makes two!

Thanks for the challenge. On one day in September last year I travelled by Uber, Train, Bus, Plane and private car. No photos taken in the first or last, and selfies with mask in the second and third. So I threw away the idea of all on one day. Instead:
From a boat (Kaikoura mountains from Interislander ferry Wellington-Picton)
From a car (Wellington Carillon snapped by cellphone whilst passenger in a moving car)
From a plane (Mud Island, Moreton Bay, near Brisbane)
I fly fairly often, so I capture aerial shots when I can - I have some nice ones from my January visit to NZ still to process, and may add these subsequently.

Attachments

• 2023-09-19_10-08-36.10_DSC9075.jpg
    2023-09-19_10-08-36.10_DSC9075.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2023-10-01_13-13-43.008IMG20231001131343.jpg
    2023-10-01_13-13-43.008IMG20231001131343.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 3
  • 2023-10-22_07-22-51.19_DSC1432.jpg
    2023-10-22_07-22-51.19_DSC1432.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 5
@Stevenson Gawen, I really like your photos, the ones in trains in particular, that are "creamy," textural and evocative of the idea of train travel.

Perhaps the only one I can publish is a low quality photo from about 20 years ago. Here my son, then a child, had arranged his toy friends in a row along the window, facing outward so they also could enjoy the running view. The elephant, the Donald Duck, his favorite little lion (called Giacomino) and Pinocchio.

I was looking at my son, he was looking at them, and they looked out. A cascade of gazes, all focused on the journey going on beyond that window.

It was my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix SQ.

View attachment 18518
I very much like the personal memory that goes with this one.

This is a topic of which I have virtually nothing, especially nothing of artistic intent nor value. But here are three images I found in my archive (i.e., buried on my NAS) from years ago. With the exception of the last one, I really don't recall what I was thinking when I shot them. I don't know why I shot them, but I did...

On the Bolivar Island Ferry in Galveston Bay, Texas, June 2006. This was with an old 5mp Kodak SX-4530 P&S camera. I tried to give the (too blue) jpg a bit more of a film feel.

20060618_122-1.jpg

This was as we drove through a typical small rural Texas town (in this case, Woodville) heading out on vacation in May 2008. My wife was driving and I was playing with my still relatively new Canon XT-Rebel (350D) DSLR. Just small town America.

IMG_3955.jpg

And this one was while we rode the miniature railroad around the top of Rich Mountain near Mena, Arkansas in July 2008. My daughter enjoyed the ride but wasn't too fond of the train's whistle! Also shot with my 350D.

IMG_4654.jpg

nothing of artistic intent nor value. But here are three images I found in my archive (i.e., buried on my NAS) from years ago. With the exception of the last one, I really don't recall what I was thinking when I shot them. I don't know why I shot them, but I did...
Well, I'm glad you did! Love the first one, indeed rather film-like in the colours. Has a strong sense of action and movement to me too. The second one reminds me very much of some of the 'town' images I've posted over the last weeks - very nice to see one of your towns too.

For me, these 'in movement' images are often more about the feeling they evoke rather than technical excellence. Maybe I'm just lazy - but it works for me.

The last... ah... reminds me of when I was about 13 and got a ride on a real traction engine (is that a UK/Aussie term? I mean one of those big steam powered tractors from before internal combustion was invented).

Not sure if it whistled, but I wasn't too happy about the grinding and shuddering of it's gears - I think I looked a bit like your daughter does in that shot! 😆

I know, I'm strange, but... :)

In a world of plastic cheapness there's something very satisfying to me about that metal device -- From the smooth metal, to the leather strap, the protective shield and the clips that hold it all in place... It looks like quality. That may be a deceiving appearance, but I like it.
It is indeed a quality device. Switching on my saddo mode it's a Gibson ticket machine designed in-house by London Transport. They were in use from the early fifties until the early nineties. They were made for hard, constant use and were phased out when buses became driver only operated. It's nice to see them in use, and indeed hear them whirring as the handle is turned, as this one was on a classic bus running day.

Last edited:
It's nice to see them in use, and indeed hear them whirring as the handle is turned, as this one was on a classic bus running day.
Yes, it looks like something that, if personally owned, would be strangely satisfying just to operate, while listening to the mechanical sounds. I like devices that work smoothly and reliably. Maybe IT wasn't the best choice for the last 24 years of my career!! LOL

Back