Theme: By Train, Plane, Boat or Car - images taken from moving vehicles

Great suggestion, Stevenson.
Here's a random selection of some that I knew where to find.

View attachment 18511Mind the closing doors
Minolta SRT101b / Rokkor 35mm f2.8 / FP4+ / Rodinal

View attachment 18512
Old skool bus, old skool driving
Minolta XD7 / Vivitar 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 / FP4+ / Rodinal

View attachment 18513

Fares please
Fujifilm X100s

View attachment 18514

From the wheel of my Austin A30, queuing for a show
Phone

And one from the archive.

View attachment 18515
Western Isles ferry, Scotland 1977
Minolta SRT303b / Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Agfa CT21 (Probably)
I really like them and this last one is somewhat amusing.

One more... I actually intended to include this one but overlooked it. Shot through the open window of our car as we crept by a herd of cattle beside the road. The sweet little yearling came right up to the window. Unfortunately (s)he didn't face the sun, but that comes with experience I guess. LOL

View attachment 18553
I'm waiting for this cow to verbalize "I don't trust you."

It was curious but very wary. However, we stopped for a few moments (the road was empty other than us) and it moved closer to check us out. I'm glad I had my camera sitting in the front console, as I was driving. I asked my wife to roll the window down as it approached. As I recall (it's been 14 years) something in the herd farther down the road got its attention and it followed the herd, moving off.

This theme seems to be accumulating quite a dairy herd 😆 so as a counterbalance I've dug around for another selection.

IMG_6082.JPG
The driver concentrates on coupling the locomotive to our train on the Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway........

IMG_6130.JPG
.......after which the signalman watches us depart.

Then into the archive again for a couple more of Scotland in 1977.

TimeitwasSco-001.jpg
From the train descending into Oban

TimeitwasSco_0045.jpg
The Old Man of Hoy glimpsed in the haze off the stern of our ferry

And this of similar vintage.

Timeitwas_0012.jpg
The view from a train near the summit of the Snowdon Mountain Railway

This theme seems to be accumulating quite a dairy herd 😆 so as a counterbalance I've dug around for another selection.

View attachment 18623
The driver concentrates on coupling the locomotive to our train on the Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway........

View attachment 18624
.......after which the signalman watches us depart.

Then into the archive again for a couple more of Scotland in 1977.

View attachment 18625
From the train descending into Oban

View attachment 18626
The Old Man of Hoy glimpsed in the haze off the stern of our ferry

And this of similar vintage.

View attachment 18627
The view from a train near the summit of the Snowdon Mountain Railway
Love the signalman in particular

it's a Gibson ticket machine designed in-house by London Transport
I wasn't sure because it has been many many moons since I last saw one in action but as soon as I saw the ticket machine it brought back memories of the Glasgow Corporation buses.

I have quite a few images taken from cars (moving and stationary) as well as a few from airplanes and even one or two from my bicycle. Anyway, here's one. I may have posted this before. I took it somewhere between Inverness and Applecross in Scotland. Used a Superheadz Blue Ribbon toy camera and Kodak Gold 800 film.

Edit: I should add that I wasn't sitting on the roof. I was driving and holding the camera out the window. The Superheadz has a very wide angle lens (22mm). It's a copy of the celebrated Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim.

Last edited:
I have quite a few images taken from cars (moving and stationary) as well as a few from airplanes and even one or two from my bicycle. Anyway, here's one. I may have posted this before. I took it somewhere between Inverness and Applecross in Scotland. Used a Superheadz Blue Ribbon toy camera and Kodak Gold 800 film.

Edit: I should add that I wasn't sitting on the roof. I was driving and holding the camera out the window. The Superheadz has a very wide angle lens (22mm). It's a copy of the celebrated Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim.

I like the way the tilted angle heightens the impression of speed.
It's been a long time since I've visited Scotland but I remember that those long roads that seem to go on for ever just beg you to put your foot down. Not that I ever did of course 🤭

I like the way the tilted angle heightens the impression of speed.
It's been a long time since I've visited Scotland but I remember that those long roads that seem to go on for ever just beg you to put your foot down. Not that I ever did of course 🤭
Thanks Peter. I'm sure you and I are alike in that neither of us has ever exceeded the posted speed limit while driving. :cool:

Back