Theme: Your Bookshelf

I downloaded a Kindle version of that book, Pete, and will read it later, maybe even a few weeks later as I have a backlog piling up.

From one simulation engine to another, have a nice day!

I don't have any shelves but I do have a lot of books, though admittedly low brow compared to you lot :D

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't read much while at school. I vaguely remember Jemima Puddleduck and suchlike characters while in Primary school. in Secondary school I read and enjoyed A Kestrel For A Knave (which became the film, Kes). I went to a Roman Catholic school, and had a nun for English.

I too went to a catholic school so I feel your pain Rob (I went to St Johns) but I had a Marist Brother for English lol. Lawside is no longer with us unfortunately having been merged with St Saviours into St Pauls

B1C9DBBE-A7DF-46FE-A155-AEBD4766861C-1772-0000013BE2ACA270_zps3386cf16.jpg

taken with the iPhone so excuse the quality. Books are mostly fiction, couple of photography books, loads of dictionaries for some reason. A highlight being my Nathan Bailey Dictionary from 1776 (I think). The most read book has to be Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency. Other faves from Jasper Fforde and Neil Gaiman.
Some vinyl, my typewriter, Hannah's accordion ... Some negatives, a camera, DVDs (hammer box set :D) computer games, baby monitor, some of Hannah's face painting gear ... All sorts of junk really!

Love the accordion :) Susan tells me we also have a Nathan Baillie dictionary, from 1741. Never heard of it myself, until you mentioned it. Apparently it contains more rude words than Johnson's more famous dictionary :) anticipating the main usage of dictionaries in years to come!

That must be an early edition Rob, I think mine is a 20-something-th it's been rebound and is a little burned on a few pages ... All adds to the charm!

As for swear words

4413C917-01C9-439F-9A3D-6429C628BF44-1974-000001651D970594_zps63c191cf.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Id call it a trio rather than a pair Pete ... Made em my self I did, out of some floor boards and home made brackets ... I went a bit overboard really, I don't think there would be any issue in me climbing up them if I saw fit!

as for Jasper Fforde, you should read the series that starts with "the Eyre Affair" ... The main character o those books have Connie her middle name "Thursday" ... I would have in fact called her Thursday if I'd had my way! If I have a son is middle name will be Friday ... Like Thursdays son in the books :)

I do believe my bookcase takes top honors for most cluttered so far. (I'd be curious to see if anybody can beat it for clutter.)

Anyway, this theme has been interesting because in reviewing the images I took of the bookshelf I discovered I have two copies of Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry, and also discovered I still have "Flight" by Chris Kraft, a book I had long thought lost or lent to some non-returning Philistine.

The bookcase is an old one from Scotland. I bid on it at an auction in Paisley a few years back. Won it--Hooray! :D. Then the wee man inside my brain said to me,..."How ye gonnae get it back tae Calafoarnia?"[doh] The thrill of the chase had obscured all reason and the intoxication of my victory was thereupon superseded by an unwelcome sobriety, largely cloaked in a veil of foreboding since I had but two days left in my holiday. :( I was blessed with a stroke of luck, however, and also the kindly intervention of an eccentric American woman who, it turned out, had observed me from afar throughout the day and had wrongly assumed that I was a countryman of her's based, she revealed, on the normally quite infallible evidence of the design of my shoes. She was mildly shaken to realize upon hearing the glottal stops punctuating my lowland accent that her shoe theory had been, well,...shall we say, "trampled underfoot?" Suffice to say the bookcase arrived at my front door in Huntington Beach some two months later.

bookcase by brian-moore, on Flickr

Last edited:
Doesn't look too cluttered to me, Brian. It's interesting when the story of the book case takes precedence over the contents. Looks a very nice case indeed. Pele!

Very fine book and clutter collections, they put my non colllection to shame. I have a few actual books that I have kept but after reading novels, mostly sci fi, I tend to give them to my friend who is a prolific reader. I have a growing digital collection and Kerri has all her books on a Kindle these days. Usually if I want to know something I look on the internet and save the information. Scribd is also a good place to download out of print books for free.

Here's my digital book shelf ... Well, PDF shelf at least

971DEE7D-6825-4E4E-8346-0D153CBECA19-2642-0000024DF946D1CB_zps88cc2f12.jpg

Instructions and guide to a viewfinder app I have been mulling over
joans price lists.
A client brand document.
instruction manual for Nikon d60.
A guide to anamorphic videography.
One of Davies Ebooks
d800 instructions ...

i think that potentially says as much about me as my real life one :)

Sorry about the verbosity Pete, but thanks for hanging in there. ;)

The two Pele books were gifts. (In America, in pre-Beckham days, if you loved footy all your American friends would think a book about Pele is a good gift for you.) I'm not that interested in him to be honest (although I did meet him once under unusual circumstances, and he seemed a very decent bloke), but I didn't want to break the rule of the theme by changing anything around.

Nicely framed, Pete. I like to collection of the books too. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Love the Mini Cooper (as featured by the beach) and the coffee cup, Beth! Any stories from the Korean War?

- - - Updated - - -

Very organized, Hamish. :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is impressive, Brian! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hamish, the accordion, the typewriter and the hung negatives get my attention. As organized as the digital one.. :)

Back