Critique Welcomed Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
A visitor to the lagoon this morning, enjoying our insanely warm first days of fall in California.

The Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly is more common to the East, but can be found in the canyons and hills around here, especially near to groves of Sycamore trees.

8016417704_5ae5db767e_b.jpg

This one sat nice and still for me, while I got in close with the X100 in 'macro' mode - f/4

Nice shot! Not often I can get close enough for an X100 shot of stuff like this!

Beautiful. I'm jealous. I tried to photograph about 4 of those this AM. They would not sit still. Of course having three dogs crashing through the bushes didn't help..... I did manage to keep one from flying into a spider web. Not sure if they have merit badges for that.

Absolutely great photo as usual.

Thanks everyone - Steve you get a Good Karma award for sure.

The seasons are all running late here I reckon, so that may explain the butterfly

Temps since August have been high for this area, and we topped out at 85F today, with more to come next week.

Couldn't believe it sat still for it's photo - I just got closer and closer with the X100, snapping away, until I got to minimum focal distance.

If I'd been paying attention I should have dialed-up f/8 instead of f/4, but I got one clean shot out of 8, so I'm good with that.

As soon as I snapped the last frame, it was off.

Nature is mysterious and wonderful.

Good karma? Merit badge?? Not from poor starving mrs spiders corner you won't ;)

Nice shot Chris, very impressive concidering the camera of choice!

Very nice Chris

Ta muchly!

Best camera is the one with you of course! :D

Seasons running late? Yep, same here. We've had no rain since some drizzle in July and no snow yet this fall. It has been so dry and warm it seems like a desert here.

I'm heading into the mountains for a week long trip so rain will probably come while I'm there.:rolleyes:

Back