Tour of Epynt 2011

Love the second and last shots where the cars have taken off...

Air shots are great - but really like #3 as I think the composition with the road winding off into the distance really tells the story well

The long windy road shot is very nice!
and that last one is a gem.. although odly it almost looks like the people are looking at you instead of the flying car!

I too like the 3rd shot as it tells a good story.

But seeing that car in the air in the last shot (also a fav) I'm wondering what shutter speed you need to use to get such sharp images of the fast moving cars?

The basic exif data for that shot is..

Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/13.0
Focal Length 98 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias -1/3 EV

They were probably doing about 80-90mph as they hit the jump so was litterally a case of tracking the car in and trying to match its speed. I did find it extreamly hard though as they were coming in quite straight on, and I messed up a fair few if im honest and I was gutted when I got home to find this one wasnt fully sharp as I loved capturing it as it landed on one wheel.

Steve Simpson Tour of Epynt 2011 by Allyc85, on Flickr

I'd personally actually go for some blur, I have some shots I took at silverstone at 1/40th ... They are really quite blured but with aspects in sharp... Adds to the speedy look ... Although I know it's not a look that everyone would go for ...

Have you thought about just upgrading your long lens instead of camera ... The 70-300 vr has a switch on it that sets the vr to work best whilst taking panning photos!

great set Alastair as per usual, I to like the airborne cars.............my fav is probably the Yellow eveo followed by you last upload of the scooby........!!

only 2 weeks or so now to the bull dog rally up in the local forest near me.......i will be up there having ago .

Daz

i gotta work out were it is yet....up in dyfi forest somewhere lol i am looking forward to it...........!!

Hmm just joined a group on Facebook for a rally driver and was surprised to see that the only image that they have at the moment is one of mine from this rally that I didnt send to them. Now I dont mind and I take it as a bit of a compliment but its a bit rude not to ask isnt it?

Very Rude,
the best way to deal with this situation, and one I feel is most likely to build a relationship that could lead to them giving you more work etc is to contact them saying you were surprised to find the image, they are ok to use it but you feel the least they owe you is some sort of credit ... you could even go as far to say that you are pleased they like your photo etc and if they want you to llok out for them again etc ... just next time they really need to ask for permission ....
you could even suggest some sort of payment for future work, but with 10,000,000 other ralley photogs out there you might find they would just use someone elses image who lets them have it for free

I'd try and turn it into some press access at rallies - say you'll cover him and provide shots, in return he gets you a press pass.

Contact them direct and see if they'll play

If not - quick note to Facebook about copyright infringement and they'll have their hands slapped I bet

Alistair, your comment (a new one?) is there for me to see on the "Profile pictures" album page , but be aware that they can upload other photos to that album to which your comment would not apply. If possible put your namecheck on the actual photo pages.

Yea I added my comment afterwards which im happy enough with but seeing as they have 1 of my pics from the event I may as well let them have the other 2 that I took. They have kind of apologised and they are creating albums for each individual who uploads pictures to their page so they get recognition that way.

Still as compensation I think they should let me drive their £200,000 rally car ;)

Back