West Coast Correspondent
8663515499_6d578d02e3_c.jpg

Velvet Sunset

8664615428_a504c2cd98_c.jpg

Velvet Night

Both shots Hasselblad 500 C/M with 50mm CF Lens
Fuji Velvia 50 - Manually timed exposure

You just can't beat a bit of Velvia magic! :p

Impressive under any circumstances, but in a windstorm, it's pretty damned amazing, sir!

Thank you muchly - I had to clean the Blad afterwards to get rid of the sand!

You can see how much the palms were moving during the 8 sec exposure

Last edited:
Velvia magic becomes reality with the photographer, Chris. :)

These are so nice Chris.
There a couple of ways to look at your work Chris. I can try to watch and learn...or I can just sell all my gear and take up knitting.

both stunning with no 2 edging it, so many levels to it

These are so nice Chris.
There a couple of ways to look at your work Chris. I can try to watch and learn...or I can just sell all my gear and take up knitting.

Yeah. I'm feeling some of that. Maybe we need a Real Knitters Forum.

Very engaging photographs Chris. Lickable texture. The second one really grabs me. The perspective piques my curiosity. You have a great eye.

Steady on chaps! :eek:

I was just happy that something actually came out - we're so spoiled by the instant feedback from digital, that when that safety blanket is removed the nerves really set-in.

In the end I used my Sekonic in spot mode, and bracketed exposures a lot to try and ensure something came out ok - I lost two frames out of 12 because they were so underexposed that they just came out black.

I missed one good angle on the pier because I only had one shot left, and it came out too far under exposed - I wasted too many on the initial standard pier shot in retrospect.

Now I know that it can be done, I'll try some more shots at twilight - the depth of color and the smooth grads are very attractive - and the daylight film really responds well to this sort of lighting.

Must get a cable release though - I thought mine was ok, but it kept sticking with the shutter open, so I ended up pressing the shutter release by hand, and hoping that the camera didn't move on the tripod!

One other point for future shoots - I need to bring a flashlight - I couldn't see the bubble level on the camera, so all my horizons needed correcting in PP! Doh!

When I see shots like these made with digital cameras I am impressed. When I see shots like this made with film I am blown away.

And your feeble attempt above to prove that you are human isn't convincing me one bit, Dodkin!;)

(Did someone mention taking up knitting...?)

Yes, the graduations are perfect in these. Thanks for the insight, Chris. I frequently use the light from my cellphone to see the spirit level at night.

Yes, the graduations are perfect in these. Thanks for the insight, Chris. I frequently use the light from my cellphone to see the spirit level at night.

Never even thought of that! [doh]

Chris two smashing images. The foreground in the first is gorgeous and love the light on the architecture of the second.

Thanks Julian - got my feet wet taking #1, so glad it was worth it! :)

Wonderful colour! The first one edges it for me! Love them both!

Back