Where I Live

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
This is where I live, South Queensferry, ten miles from Edinburgh...though we will be moving back to Edinburgh in mid April. Taken this morning. It's a nice place, with cafes, restaurants, good walks and views. Our house is obscured by the house just adjacent and upper left to the orange roof, with the window on the side wall. Looks similar too. We've enjoyed an almost 4-year break from the capital, but feel the urge to return. Edinburgh is a unique and impressive cultural city.

SQ View 3.jpg

It's more of an overgrown village. The old centre is a village of 17th to 19th-century houses - ours dates from 1810 - but they have built thousands of modern identikit homes on the periphery, transforming it into a Town. But there is still only one street serving as the town centre, and not enough shops. The people in those new houses are mostly commuters with huge cars, which they use to drive to large shopping centres. I don't mind when they build new towns like that, if they need to, but in the case of South Queensferry there has been no thought given to integration. Ah well, we'll be out of it soon, and can always come and visit, as the old part still remains very beautiful.

Presumably the old Forth Rail Bridge is over one's right shoulder in this view? While on holiday in the area back in '07 when our boys were small we stayed in Edinburgh. As you've mentioned before, a beautiful old city, indeed. When not mooching around the city itself, we took day trips out and about (Visiting some of the closer lochs to the area (Voil, Lomond, etc).
The closest we got to Queensferry was the northern part, parking up close to the old bridge to get more dramatic, south facing view of it, at which point I did get a bit snap happy..
(Thinking of Loch Voil, a piccie I took looking along it at the time, I had printed to A2 and framed for my Mum that she hung over her mantle-piece. Although 'only' 8mp from my old Canon 350D, it looks remarkably crisp, standing up well to close scrutiny. Since her passing, it's come back to me, so it may well find a similar place over our mantle.)

I'm sure your mum enjoyed it, Ralph. And it might jog your memory of her every now and then, if on show somewhere.

Yes, the rail bridge has a big presence here. It is hard not to give a clichéd image of it. I have a few...

@Rob MacKillop just curious -- Is this thread intended to be about your home specifically (i.e., only) or are others welcome to participate? It might be interesting to see where others live, of course subject to the voluntary scope of reasonable security considerations.

But if not I understand and it could be a separate thread (we already have a "my street" thread, IIRC). At any rate, it's not like I have any nice images of my house anyway (not sure if that's even possible LOL).

Back