Wind in the Grass

These were taken at Wisley Gardens in Surrey, UK just over a week ago. It was sunny but windy and these large ornamental grasses were blowing into interesting patterns. They were shot using the M9 using a 35mm lens, not ideal but what I had with me and so these are crops of about 25% of the image. I used a slow shutter speed (1/30) to capture the motion at ISO 160 and f/9.5. They were processed in LR/Nik SilverFX Pro2 then PS CS5 / ColorFX Pro 3 to give the soft border.

Grass-1.jpg

Grass-2-1.jpg

So this was day time was it?
I quite like bits of them, especially in the second one with the longer thicker blades and the depth
im not so sure about them on a screen, but i think they framed they would like nicer... maybe if there was three of them in a set?

Yes, bright daylight! But the tone of the grass was quite dark. I have about 10 shots of the grass in different patterns and these were the first two I decided to experiment with in terms of crop (I had already decided to render them as grainy monochrome). I think you are right that they will probably look better printed. If I get the chance I'll process the others later tonight.

I think these would look wonderful as prints - very fluid, almost reminds me of flowing water

I agree. These would make stunning prints. Pete your work is truly superb. Curious if you think you got the crop just right? ; )

This is a challenging image to capture as are most that involve visualizing, in a still image, subjects that are inherently temporal such as wind. I like how these images address that challenge. You might make a nice triptych from some of them.

Back