You will NEVER reach the other side!

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
Thanks to Hamish, he suggested an idea on trying out a Light Mummy on new Diglis Bridge in Worcester, I thought I'd try a bit of a twist. Although there was careful planning, editing, positioning, layering, and time taken to try and produce an image that I had in mind, just not 100% with the Mummy, I will get round to trying this idea again somewhere else but had alot of fun doing it, and I did require a companion to help me out a bit....... hope you like folks as much as I did doing it :)

Attachments

• P123171093 copy-2-2-2.jpg
    P123171093 copy-2-2-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Damn that's scary! LOL

Nice one Dan - this is really developing nicely (pun intended) - can you give us a breakdown on how you did it?

Thanks chris, makes me want to go back there as a few other ideas have been haunting my mind since.

Well, I had a companion with me (who is the one wearing the panda hat/mask) I did a few off cam flash shots with panda on the floor (different angle direction of the flash light), I think out of all the ones I had taken this one was the best...... now.... this was the tricky bit, I had to make a mental note of excatly where pandas leg was, (3rd light on rail from tripod, 4ft from rail to center, 1 ft high, and so forth) then I done a couple of mummy takes, practicing a stance before the exposure was made, making a mental note of where panda's leg was. done a few of them (choosing the better one from the lot). post production - because of the exposures taken, it proved very difficult for me anyway, to layer 2 favoured shots over one another without seeing the platform of the bridge visable through panda man........ ssooooo, I had to 'erase' the backround of the mummy shot in PS elements in order to make panda a solid object, oh, and all this by hand, much of a pain in the John Thomas it was, no doubt someone is going to suggest a better way of doing it.....
but, out of all this, I really enjoyed and learned more from this mummy saga than the rest of them. Everything I did on this picture, I did using all the knowledge I had gained in photography, including, manual flash exposure settings, manual setting on cam, and manually choosing the selected areas on the layer to 'erase' out.
In one sense, I feel proud of this shot, and in another, I should of experimented a bit more whilst I was there, ie, creating light to wrap around the leg of the panda to give it a feeling as if it was 'converting' anything the mummy touches (building its army of mummies to mayb.e.... whoa!! I'll stop there folks. but you get the gist of a potential story line....... and the other snag is, I wished I'd of thought of lowering the camera right down to floor level (using a bridge bean bag I've got) and really getting panda boy to dig his nails in the platform of the bridge...... now that would be scary!!! hahaha!!! Insane!! ...... yeah....me too! :)

Hope you enjoyed the breakdown chris :)

Oh, Just added another one..... not much imagination and same poses as before...... but this is what this site is about......... GET 'EM ON THERE!!!! :)

Attachments

• P1221701-2.jpg
    P1221701-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks Hamish, you most definately always welcome, oh.... and sorry to dissapoint you though....... its not day.... its night! Mwaaahaaaahaaa hahahaha, bring ya teddy if it gets too much. lol :) :) :)

Well let me know when your next having a go around town ... I'm only batenhall like if I'm free I'll come meet ya ... I want to see it in action, but I reckon if we knocked heads we could come up with some decent locations ... Perhaps a quick pint in the kings head to come up with a location, then out?
I had this idea about a more distorted shape of a figure on a dark stair case sort of though the banister ... You know the stairs in stmartins gate carpark ... Or would it be to light in there ... There must be something at that car park ....
.... Ive just given my self an idea ... What about a shape distorted over the bonnet of a car - shot from inside the car like it had been hit by that car in a darkened multi storey car park...

Wow, I was only thinking about a mummy in/on/around a car the other day!! don't want it to be too light though. Do you...well.....how...... okay, how good are you at climbing buildings??? hahaha!! told you I was nuts. I'll wait for you to answer that one before I admitt on and internet forum what I've got in mind next. lol. That sounds like a plan tho! Drink first, chittidy chittidy chat, then lets go snippidy snappin!! aaaaallllll riiiighhtt!!!! Really looking forward to it, it'd most certainly be an honour :) The only thing is at this present moment in time of my life, my wife is 6 days over her due date with our 2nd. so as you can imagine it might a couple of weeks till I'm excused to go out the house and leave my wife, daughter, and newborn to take pictures at night. haha!! but seriouslly, I'm definately up for it. my number is 07708 526222, drop me a text n let me know yours in case I do have an urge sooner than expected. lol. hope everythink is going well with your ladyfriend and the bean in the oven :) how far now mate?

No climbing I'm to much o a ***** for that ... Imagine if I fell I broke a finger ... Nah not for me ...
An honour ... Your a joker man
6 days over eh ... Blimey
13 weeks here ... Good luck with it buddy ...
Well when you have some time I have some ideas with flash guns for selective lighting of subject that might complent your idea quite nicely too

Back