1937 Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/16 120 film Bellows Camera

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
The madness continues - just bagged me this...

1937 ZEISS IKON NETTAR 515/16 120 FILM BELLOWS CAMERA FOLDING VINTAGE | eBay

At £50, it is more expensive than many others on eBay, but it does seem in excellent working condition. If not, back it will go. Should be easier to carry than the Mamiya RB67!

Zeiss Nettar 1.jpgZeiss Nettar 2.jpgZeiss Nettar 3.jpg

A photographer friend who has one himself, and a few others of that ilk besides, said I should grab it. "The pre-war Nettars are fun. Those are good and that one looks in particularly good condition. That is a 6 x 6 which is the same size negative as your Mamiya. I really like the 3 element Nettar or Novar Lens (they are pretty much the same. The Netter the earlier version of the two). The early ones aren’t coated so if you use color film it can have an odd tint but for B/W no problem. Uncoated also tends to flare when shooting towards the sun but shade it with your hat, hand…and all will be fine. The Telma shutter is a four speed (usually 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 and 1/125 plus T and B) mechanism and very reliable. Very easy to service too. If you have the patience and a few simple tools there’s lots of info online as to how to do it."

Just bought it this morning, so await its arrival...120 roll at the ready. More to follow.

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of but the frame spacing on my Fuji is rather random and you get an occasional overlap. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that someone else had had the same problem. I'll have to get it serviced as it has done it on every roll (12) so far with one overlap on each! Bloody annoying as you can see!

Overlap-1_zps5145820b.jpg

Actually, yours should be less susceptible to this as you will be using the numbers on the backing paper to count frames when winding on rather than relying on the automatic framing of the Fuji.

You found me out! You can fit 3 frames in the sleeves easily and I wanted the whole film in one sheet but as the last two overlapped I decided to let the end of one of those poke out rather than the shot on the other end. You can see the edge of the sleeve against the frame on the left.

Slippery slop Rob. It rhymes, sort of. But I preferred Hottie Scottie myself! ;)

A pinhole lute, now that sounds a great idea. And in a bizarre cross connection:

[video=youtube;XDyW1_RRutA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDyW1_RRutA[/video]

The world has truly gone mad! ;)

You and me and Hamish - we're responsible for keeping EBAY profitable :D

OK. It arrived 20 minutes before I was to go out. I managed to insert a roll of film the seller had kindly included Neopan 100 Arcos, 120, and advanced it until the number 1 appeared in the window at the back. Then I set the distance to Susan's nose :eek: - set the aperture and speed - and clicked the shutter button - but nothing happened. I was expecting a click, some moving part, but nothing. I could feel the shutter depress, but I'm not sure if I took a picture. I did it a couple of times, so have, if nothing else, multiple exposures with that first shot.

Ah...the seller has just responded - "You have to cock the shutter before out will shoot. There is a lever on the lens to do this. Welcome to the 1930s" - fine, but which lever? I feel so dumb, again [doh]

Some photos...taken with the Fuji X-S1

back.jpgbottom plate.jpgclosed.jpgFront 1.jpgFront 2.jpgFront 3.jpgFront 4.jpgSide.jpgZeiss Nettar 1.jpgZeiss Nettar 2.jpgZeiss Nettar 3.jpg

Thanks. I 'cocked' it. Took a snap...then it made slight whirring noises for about 4 or 5 seconds. Is that normal?
Damn it! Maybe that was the self timer...? :)

Nah,...maybe you had the shutter set real slow. Check shutter speed. (Too bad ye threw that film in before checking things, Rob.)

Wait,...4 or 5 seconds...? You won't have a shutter speed setting that goes that long. Whirring noises...? Maybe self-timer was on also?

Last edited:
Back