#3 In my Pacific Surfliner series

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I went North up the coast today, to Oceanside.

Here's the southbound Surfliner crossing the San Luis Rey River bridge, near Oceanside Harbor.

web.jpg

5D2 - 28-70 f2.8L - f8 - Circular Polarizer - Remote shutter release

While waiting for the train, I witnessed a tidal bore - probably due to the Tsunami, head up the river.

Very creepy - river level just went up 8-10 inches in seconds, and the wave travelled quickly up-stream :confused:

Hi Chris,

Love these shots. Find the rock in the LH foreground on the first shot a bit distracting but the light is great. However, I think this is my favourite. What do you think to applying a touch of bleach bypass? I think it might suit it really well.

Looking at your EXIF data the timing looks about right for the predicted impact of the Tsunami on S California coast. Seeing a small manifestation of such an event makes you think how terrifying it must be to be near the epicentre.

This is my fave of the bunch ... I'd prob try and be clever and introduce some selective blur or somthing, but I actually like the shot as is! Having the building on the other side and the train almost meeting the vanishing point give the image a lot more interest than the others for me despite it not having the nice reflections in the water of the other shots ..
And what a side story with the rise of water ... Makes one feel small and fragile to think you were snapping away in relative calm whilst the mayhem was happening thousands of miles away ... Then just to be given a small hint of what was happening ... Must have been very odd!

Hamish - when I was originally setting up the shot, I zoomed in more and and didn't have the building in shot. Took a test shot and reviewed it, then one zoomed out with the building included. Preferred the building in frame, as you did.

Pete - nice look - I think I might try that if I can get a shot of the train passing through an urban landscape, maybe LA or San Diego - will have to start planning on Google Maps.

would i be on my own when i say (i dont wish to offend anyone) but that "Bleach Bypass" is terrible...........!!

It Doesn't do anything for the original image at all in my opinion, it certainly doesn't improve it either

Daz

i quite like it ... not more or less than the original ... just different!
i think that sort of thing does suit industrial looking content like the bridge

is that what the process is supposed to replicate "1950 look" then, i know nothing about it............

Bleach Bypass is actually a film effect although it was / is mostly used in cinematography. Basically you leave the bleach stage out of the development of a colour film thus leaving a black and white negative combined with the colour layers (think 'Saving Private Ryan'). It produces more contrast and muted colours (and a grittier look). In some cases it can produce images a bit like the hand-coloured postcards produced in the '50's and '60's.

ok i kind of get the idea a little better now, cheers peter :)

Back