A couple more Critters.

Glen Roberts

A couple more from my day out with my Tammy 90 Macro lens:eek:.

Blood Froghopper.
Cercopisvulnerata-1.jpg

Noonday Fly
Fly-12.jpg

Azure Damselfly
AzureDamselfly.jpg

Female Scorpion Fly.
ScorpionFlyfemale-1.jpg

Small Heath Butterfly.
SmallHeath-7.jpg

Glen these are really good. When the subject is an insect, spider or some other small critter I definitely like to see most of the critter in focus (unless one is zooming in on some body part). I also like to see some of its habitat. You brought all this together in some nice images here. I think my fav is the nooday fly. I also really like the bokeh on that scorpion fly.

Man, these really creep me out - not a big insect fan, although the photos are fantastic! :)

What's your keep rate like using the macro?

having pizzed about with mine yesterday, taking pics of my cine camera - I can see how critical focus is with the narrow DOF - and that was with a stationary object and tripod mounted camera!!

The critters that creep me out are ticks, you know those little blood sucking things. The critters that Glenn shoots are magnificent.

Stunning.....no other word for it........!!!

I had a play around with a Sigma 105mm Macro lens few months back, i borrowed it from a friend. I had it for 2 days and just couldn't get any decent shots at all. I guess practice practice & more practice is the key.........!!

Well done you should be VERY proud of these.

Daz

Glen, you’re giving me sleepless nights! Really. I’m in complete agreement with what’s been said already. I love looking at your photos.

Very nice to see a female scorpion fly; the female not deadlier than the male on this occasion ;). The Noonday is one of my favourite flies. She’s so handsome and I love the way you caught the details on her wings.

I keep trying to work out how you do what you do. I know you work mostly hand-held and don’t use a flash. I also know that sharpening can’t do that much on a macro scale so you must be one of those living statues in your spare time ;)

I’ve spent a year with a 105 but looking at your photos I still feel I just ended up taking loads of pictures without actually learning much. I think I should warn you that I will be pestering you for advice for quite a while….

I’ve been trying to find some photos to post for days but thoughts like ‘not sharp enough’, ‘bad exposure’ etc., keep stopping me. Still, unless I show you what’s wrong with what I do you won’t be able to set me on the right road ;) I’ll post some this afternoon. Help!

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone:eek:.

What's your keep rate like using the macro?
I'd say about 70% go in the bin, mainly because of the narrow DOF missing the intended focus area and a bit of blur from not being steady enough handholding.

I had a play around with a Sigma 105mm Macro lens I had it for 2 days and just couldn't get any decent shots at all. I guess practice practice & more practice is the key.........!!
Definately lots of practice needed and believe me I still need more...LOL.

I keep trying to work out how you do what you do. I know you work mostly hand-held and don’t use a flash so you must be one of those living statues in your spare time
With a miss rate of 70% I'm not that steady, lol, one thing I do is hold my breath just before I take the shot and squeeze the shutter as gently as possible. Not sure if that's what the experts would say but it works for me sometimes.

The Sigma 105 is a great macro lens, pin sharp. I have had mine quite a few years and still use it even though my primary macro lens is now the Sigma 150, the only reason I acquired the 150 was for much faster AF. I often use AI Servo to track moving bugs and the USM focus helps.

Since I shoot mostly handheld I am considering the new Canon 100 L IS macro, I am sure the IS will help!

my primary macro lens is now the Sigma 150,

Since I shoot mostly handheld I am considering the new Canon 100 L IS macro, I am sure the IS will help!
I think I've read somewhere that Sigma are bringing out a 150 Macro out with OS (their version of IS), but with Nikon taking them to court over copyright infringements about their OS system it could be quite a while.

I think I've read somewhere that Sigma are bringing out a 150 Macro out with OS (their version of IS), but with Nikon taking them to court over copyright infringements about their OS system it could be quite a while.

Interesting, I am sure it will be a great lens, I hope they can sort out the legal problem....

I have one of their superb 120-300 f2.8 lenses that I love, I have been thinking of replacing it with the new OS version but I want to see a few reviews first.

Back