Critique Welcomed A Portrait of Meg

Brian Moore

My younger daughter Meg at the Church of St. Barbara in Kutna Hora, Czech Republic.

Its a little out of focus (I'm finding manual focusing to be getting progressively less easy over time) but I like the picture anyway. The film was the accidentally cross-processed Agfa Precisa 100 slide film which I devved in C41 chems. (@Pete Askew: the film canister is marked "Made in Japan" so it must be the Fuji-made Agfa film that was mentioned in the link you forwarded me the other day.)

Canon F1. Can't remember for sure what lens (dammit!). It has the look of a 50mm to me, so it may have been the Canon FD 50/1.4 (which I find particularly hard to focus accurately).

Edit:
Whoa,...! Now I see it in larger size I realize how badly out of focus this image is!

Edit #2:
Meg just corrected me; this is actually taken inside the Old Town Hall in Prague.

Last edited:
Out of focus or not Brian the image will always serve as a good reminder of your time out with your daughter and for me anyway these are the most important images we take. It's a nice set up in a very nice place.
There seems to be a bit of damage around the lights and other highlight area which might be down to a little to much processing.
Focussing? With the old rangefinders and analogue cameras I also have problems tying to guess the distance but it is still fun.
Best thing is to try and ensure that you only have to focus on infinity;)

Out of focus or not Brian the image will always serve as a good reminder of your time out with your daughter and for me anyway these are the most important images we take. It's a nice set up in a very nice place.
There seems to be a bit of damage around the lights and other highlight area which might be down to a little to much processing.
Focussing? With the old rangefinders and analogue cameras I also have problems tying to guess the distance but it is still fun.
Best thing is to try and ensure that you only have to focus on infinity;)

Thanks, Tom. Much appreciated. As to the "damage" around the lights I think you are absolutely correct: Too much processing. This again was one of the slide films I accidentally cross-processed in C41 chemicals. However, the main problem with this image (and a number of others from the 2 slide film rolls I didn't know I was shooting) was poor exposure. I was shooting the film as if it were prints, which have more latitude than slides. I think I terribly under-exposed this and so I had to work hard to make something of it. This likely cause the processing damage you see.

Back