Alphabet theme - January - A and B

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
At the end of last year, Adrian posted this thread
http://www.realphotographersforum.com/abstract-still-life/3328-alphabet-photography.html#post28575
It gave me the idea to start a year long theme, month by month, a couple of letters at a time (twice 3) to find letters in day to day objects

443276.jpg

ref: Alphabet Photography by Abba Richman | Best Bookmarks

One of the most important things in photography is observation, I think taking part in this theme maybe a good exercise in those observation skills!

For January we will be looking at A and B

PLEASE POST YOUR A's AND B's IN THIS THREAD SO WE CAN ALL COMPARE THEM SIDE BY SIDE

Oooo, should be very interesting - love the idea!

A & B

OK, A starter for 10...

I started out this morning having done a bit of homework and having a rough idea of what I was looking for.
'B' didn't seem to be too much of a problem...'A' I had one idea for that might or might not work.
In the end, I found two other images that were nothing like what I had planned and actually turned out much better.

As they say 'chance favours the prepared mind'.

'A'

image0701001 by jordin57, on Flickr

'B'

image0701002 by jordin57, on Flickr

Adrian...very good, I have been considering this for a while now but yet to take the plunge, need to get out more and maybe, just maybe the ideas will turn into action, well done you :D

Its surprising what you do find once you start looking. You see one possibility, then several more within a few minutes, as your mind tunes in.

BTW, I promise not to invert the 'B' picture when it comes to the letter 'D'...:)

Here B my first entry :D

65addb89-c1d0-471a-8fa7-2353ad7cc0e2-l

Nice industrial take on it Tom - that B is B for Brilliant! :D

Wow, what different takes!! I like them all but (sorry Chris and Adrian), the industrial ones are my favourites so far. Love the way you spotted the foot switches. Is that the normal orientation of the arm for the extractor Dan (with cable tie?)? Nice PP - iPhone I assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete, thanks. Yes taken on the iPhone and No the arm is actually upside down so I flipped the image. If you look in the background you can see the wall that should put it into perspective .It's an arm for a work lamp that sits on the back of the lathe. The zip tie is blue to represent it's power suppliy blue for 240v yellow for 110v.

TOM :)

Last edited:
I've been having a look for ideas in this theme and found a my first couple.

Letter A.
LetterChallengeA.jpg

Letter B or should that be Letter b;).
LetterChallengeB.jpg

Quick question, do the shots have to be taken in the month of the letters or anytime???
I have some idea's for future letters but wondered if I had to wait before I go for the shot :eek:.

Nicely done Glen - that b is very inventive :)

I don't know whether to take the shots as I see them and post in the right month or wait and take them in the month they are due, that way it gives me something to look for each month.

Back