Another Trip to Angelsey Abbey

Paul Lange

Had a quick walk around Angelsey Abbey with the family yesterday but it was quite cold and they got fed up very quickly. Plan to go back again soon on my own as many shots didn't turn out right and I didn't have much time. Did get to shoot this though. Its from the bird hide, the pond is still partially iced over which gave the scene a slightly ethereal look to the view. I tried to us some post processing that brought this out.

FromtheBirdHide.jpg

Actually I like the 'more processed' version :)

I have some similar shots, which I like when blown up, but like less on the small screen due to the large amount of detail in the image.

Nice shots, I like the 1st with the PP used there

i dont like the first one at all i will be honest with you paul, the second is much better, but i find when an image similar to this lack any sort of interest or subject maybe a colour version would have been a smarter choice.

What did you think to the colour version?

Darren

i dont like the first one at all i will be honest with you paul, the second is much better, but i find when an image similar to this lack any sort of interest or subject maybe a colour version would have been a smarter choice.

What did you think to the colour version?

Darren

BOOHOOBOOHOOBOOHOOBOOHOOBOOHOOBOOHOO! lol

It's fine to say you don't like it Darren, I have no problems with that at all. You're right that there is no real strong subject as in an item of interest. The photo is really to do with light and shade and the general ethereal "feel" that there is around the place. The original colour shot was just too much stuff to comprehend and the colours were quite muted and boring.

With pictures like these you really can see the destructive effect that changing from 16bit to 8bit has, and then in turn converting the image to Jpeg.

In 16bit the first one looked way to over done so I lessened the effect a little on the second shot. However when it comes to viewing them here the 1st shot looks OK and the second shot looks to subtle to the point of not looking very post processed at all.

Either way though I admit that they are the kind of shots that tickle your fancy or they don't, I wouldn't say Marmite but maybe not too far from it.

I think the PP works fine here, my first thought on leaving it in colour would be the dead/dying plant in the foreground would not work at all. That in itself would suggest to me to turn it to B&W, I would consider also adding a texture to it too just to give it a little more spooky feeling.

Vic

Back