Ansel Adams - BBC master photographers

Andrew Cotterill

A very interesting doc about Ansel Admas, who is not at all how I imagined him. Some very useful hints, I thought, and good thoughts about the philosophy of photography I suppose you'd call it.

Ansel Adams BBC Masterphotographers (1983)

i'll watch it when i get home from work , for me he's the master above all others

Thanks Andrew. One of the better interviews of him. Way back in high school I was talking to my art teacher about how I was interested in photography...but I just wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting. The print never came back the way I saw the picture as I was taking it. He told me about Adams and how he spent so much time trying to show what he saw...and then we built a dark room. I still remember the first time in the dark room...when that image appeared. It was of a pile of rocks in the middle of the woods. I thought I was really something...which I'm not. However... I'm still... to this day... enjoying the whole process of seeing...capturing ... creating.

I like Ansel Adams and have book called 400 photographs. I am not exactly a big fan of landscape photographs (although I do enjoy a good one) but what I really like about his work is the compositions. You can just see the care and attention he paid to setting them up.

Back