Antelope Canyon

Dennis Ernst

Antelope Canyon is the most visited slot canyon in the US. During the peak season, I was told by the Native American Guides, ,that over 2,000 people a day visit this place. That's pretty amazing in itself.

This canyon is on Navajo land so you must have a permit and a Navajo guide to see it. There are several in that vicinity to accommodate the crowds. They offer a 2-hour photo tour and this blog is my experience there.

This is not an easy shoot. The dark narrow canyon with the very bright sunlight create a very high contrast situation but this is also what creates the bright orange color and deep blues in the shadows. I was advised to take a tripod, which I did, but with all the people it was hard to use and keep it from constant bumping. I ended up using it more as a monopod and trying to stabilize myself by leaning against the canyon walls.

Here is the link to the photo blog. http://dennis-ernst-blogs.blogspot.com/2016/10/antelope-canyon-arizona.html

If you have had some experience with shooting in this kind of situation, have suggestion for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dennis

Last edited:
Back