Critique Welcomed B-dock on Acid

Brian Moore

An attempt at ICM (Intentional Camera Movement).

Not sure quite yet how I feel about ICM. Some images I've seen demonstrate lovely, wave-like flows of color. I find it's easy to move your camera around during a low speed exposure, but quite another matter to produce a quality image.

Sigma DP1M.

Well, I’d regard that as a quality image all day long. Beautiful The vertical lines and their reflections give a sense of stability within the overall flow, making it easier to take in. Some such images are just a dizzying wash of colour, tiresome to look at. No problem here. Full marks!

Fond of the colours here Brian, the peach and steel like water helps ground the movement sweeps (and I'm a sucker for these tones). Was the movement and shot hand held? I've wondered how it would be using a smooth panning tripod to work ICM shots...

Fond of the colours here Brian, the peach and steel like water helps ground the movement sweeps (and I'm a sucker for these tones). Was the movement and shot hand held? I've wondered how it would be using a smooth panning tripod to work ICM shots...
Thanks a lot, Wes. Yeah, hand held. To be honest I haven’t yet come to terms with ICM. Some stuff I see is really cool, especially if it seems to conjure Impressionist paintings. Other stuff is just like OOF pictures or pictures that were hand-held at too low a shutter speed. I shot about 20 or so ICM images last week. I binned every one of them. It’s a challenging genre to get right, but ultimately much of it seems gimmicky to me. Thanks again, Wes.

Thanks a lot, Wes. Yeah, hand held. To be honest I haven’t yet come to terms with ICM. Some stuff I see is really cool, especially if it seems to conjure Impressionist paintings. Other stuff is just like OOF pictures or pictures that were hand-held at too low a shutter speed. I shot about 20 or so ICM images last week. I binned every one of them. It’s a challenging genre to get right, but ultimately much of it seems gimmicky to me. Thanks again, Wes.
It feels akin to abstract art as a genre in painting; seems obvious how you do, but challenging to 'feel' out the technique. I'm experiencing this to a lesser extent with IR photography.

Do you have the option to shoot from a moving vehicle? I wonder what this could do for ICM.

Back