Critique Welcomed Paisley Abbey at Night

Brian Moore

No tripod and no sufficient horizontal surface on which to steady the camera for this long exposure shot of Paisley Abbey, so I used the angled cornerstone of a low wall. I think it kinda works.

Sigma DP1 Merrill.

Last edited:
I believe that's called a Dutch Tilt Brian :cool:

Makes a great composition - I like the way Robert Tannahill leans in - Like he's looking for the 'Alien' gargoyle :eek:

It kinda does work. I've played in there, once as part of a baroque orchestra, doing some Monteverdi and Purcell, if I remember correctly, and once in a solo recital of 17th-century Scottish lute music, and 18th-century Scottish guitar music. My father was born in Paisley.

So, that's Boab Tannahill? Somehow missed him on my two visits.

I believe that's called a Dutch Tilt Brian :cool:

Makes a great composition - I like the way Robert Tannahill leans in - Like he's looking for the 'Alien' gargoyle :eek:
You're absolutely right, Chris. I'd never heard of a Dutch Tilt but I looked it up. Used in cinema often to heighten tension. Apparently street photographer Gary Winogrand used the technique often.

The angle certainly does make the Tannahill statue appear to be looking into the building. I have another shot I took--a more conventional one with a conventional horizon (so as not to invite the attention of those terrible terrible people, the Horizon Police, whose Chief Superintendent conceals his identity among us though we all know who he is; I won't name names (@Pete Askew: :p)--and it's not nearly as interesting.

Thanks Chris!

It kinda does work. I've played in there, once as part of a baroque orchestra, doing some Monteverdi and Purcell, if I remember correctly, and once in a solo recital of 17th-century Scottish lute music, and 18th-century Scottish guitar music. My father was born in Paisley.

So, that's Boab Tannahill? Somehow missed him on my two visits.
Thanks Rob. I wish I could have heard you play there.

Back