Canon 70-200mm f2.8 mk II with 2x Extender mk III

Darren Bradley

My first test shots with my new 2x Extender, Mk III, combined with the trusty 70-200mm f2.8 (version II). I got this in anticipation of some motorsport shooting I'd like to do soon. But not having access to any racing in my neighborhood, I took a quick stroll down to the water instead to shoot some of the local flora and fauna. I have to say the results are impressive, considering a lot of the negative things I've heard about Canon extenders (especially the 2x). These shots are cropped a bit.

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 100

Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 200

Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 200

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, the 2x applies not only to the focal length, but to the aperture, as well. So while I shot that first one on aperture priority for f2.8, the extender made it f5.6... But for daylight shots, it's fine.

such a funny expression on the face of the brown geezer in the first one!
im starting to think that all my negative experience of tc's is down to not really thinking about the fact that shooting at 400mm takes requires effectively twice as fast a shutter speed!
these look perfectly ok!

Looking good - any degradation in initial contrast from using the 2x?

No degradation that I could see. I intentionally didn't do much PP on these to show SOOC, or about as close as I ever get. Didn't tweak contrast at all.

Back