Cemetery Photography

Tony Britton

Here's a collection of my favorite cemetery photos. Dramatic statues make excellent black and white subjects and provide great opportunities to celebrate the wonderful relationship between light and dark. Especially fun on cloudy days!

IMG_1603tonybritton2024%20%281%29-X2.jpg

CemeteriesTonyBritton2024%20%283%29-X2.jpg

IMG_0213CCTonyBritton2024-X2.jpg

tonybritton2024cemeteryseries-X2.jpg

CemeteriesTonyBritton2024%20%284%29-X2.jpg

It is an interesting group of photos. I especially like the first and last ones, where I feel the light sculpts the volumes more effectively (or maybe it's the balance between dark areas and light ones). The first one then has a nice round cut, while the last one has an important presence of negative space that captures me.

Very nice! My wife and I just attended a guided walk through the town's older cemetery. Of course, old here in the states is relative. I don't believe there were any dated earlier than the 1800's. One thing that I found odd about newer burial stones was the inclusion of etched photos on the stone. Usually of the departed but sometimes a scene.

It is an interesting group of photos. I especially like the first and last ones, where I feel the light sculpts the volumes more effectively (or maybe it's the balance between dark areas and light ones). The first one then has a nice round cut, while the last one has an important presence of negative space that captures me.
Thank you for your wonderfully insightful response! Yes, I'm very pleased with the interplay of light and shadow in the photos you've mentioned. I especially like the area around the hand in the first image!

Very nice! My wife and I just attended a guided walk through the town's older cemetery. Of course, old here in the states is relative. I don't believe there were any dated earlier than the 1800's. One thing that I found odd about newer burial stones was the inclusion of etched photos on the stone. Usually of the departed but sometimes a scene.
Thanks, Gary. These photos were taken in Colma, California. One cemetery we visited was established in the year 1887!

Back