Challenge: 1950's compact Camera Challenge

If you can tell me why it would be excluded from this challenge I will make an exception! ;)

Because they stopped making the C2 in 1939 when the C3 came out, and they didn't stop making the C3 until 1966 but the only difference I can see between the C2 and C3 was the addition of the not so compact flash bulb holder lol :D although the C2 is fairly compact its made from Bakerlite which weighs about as much as the moon :D

Sorry, I've not made my self clear ... It needs to be:
35mm/135 or smaller (127 at a push)
a viewfinder camera ie. no rangefinder (not should an accessory one be used)
your means of focus should be scale(/zone) focus only
It needs to be made in the 50's

- - - Updated - - -

Because they stopped making the C2 in 1939 when the C3 came out, and they didn't stop making the C3 until 1966 but the only difference I can see between the C2 and C3 was the addition of the not so compact flash bulb holder lol :D although the C2 is fairly compact its made from Bakerlite which weighs about as much as the moon :D

a good reason ... But my reason was because it is a rangefinder ...
so no, you can't use it!

:D time to go shopping for another camera :D shame lol *nudges cameras over to make space on shelf* Hmm what were the most common 1950s compacts? All of the ones I seem to like are from the 60s or 70s lol I have seen an Atlas 35 though which is tempting, seen a few Voigtländers but the Vito Bs are late 50s early 60s.

I'm going after an altissa altix (it has a meyer Trioplan lens ;))
so yeah, if you see that on eBay please don't bid :)

You might like the "werra" range, the first is a very elegant looking thing IMO
kodak retinette ...

the fun is in the finding anyway ...

I have the Retinette 1b, so thats too new lol :p I seem to have a gap in my camera collections around the 1950s lol when is the closing date? :)

Ah ha! An Agfa Silette was made in the 1950s, there sems to have been 6 different models in the 1950s and they are all pretty cheap lol

Last edited:
Which version of the Altix are you going to use, Hamish? Got the Altix-N myself....

And: where to put the phots??

A CZJ Tessar 50/2.8....

- - - Updated - - -

This is the chance to shoot with it. I bought it about a year ago, shot one frame, but never touched it after. It has a ding in the back side, I hope the focal plane is still in the right place.... We will see.... 2 minutes ago I captured my glass of beer with it...:D

Will be interesting to compare your 4 element 3 group design to my 3 element 3 group design (I'm learning about lens design types, can you tell ;))

Will be interesting to compare your 4 element 3 group design to my 3 element 3 group design (I'm learning about lens design types, can you tell ;))

Yeah, great! But my (low) skill on such cameras will probably have a severe effect on the outcome.....:D

A good question ...
The last one I put a date on went way over deadline due to waiting for people ... But shall we loosely say middle of jan concidering no one has posted yet ...? :)

Back