Colour Test

Julian de'Courcy

Took owner ship of a new monitor . I had a cheap of the shelf HP2159m which at the time was brilliant and a enough for me to use confidently. Over the years it has produced vertical lines down the screen.
Anyway I ended up reviewing on line hundreds of monitors. Most that I wanted were way out of my price range. I also doubted I needed a full gamut monitor. I do not print much and do not make profiles for printing. So a full sRGB monitor aught to be ok for web based images. I'd spent about six months looking at reviews. The main sites of use came down to TFT central, PRAD, Colour confidence, and some of the PC Hardware sites. I thought such monitors like the Eizo, Nec ,LG were all out of my price range with their renowned expertise in monitors for graphics and photography. I found Eizo have now brought onto the market some lower priced monitors in the sRGB colour space. These entry level monitors still have the Eizo DUE system that insures uniformity of brightness and chromaticity on different parts of the screen.

On setting up the monitor, immediately the realization that the old monitor hurt the eyes was apparent, I had become used this harsh environment, this new monitor was going to be so much more comfortable to work with.

Anyway the colour test. I had come across this test a few weeks ago researching monitors on line. I had been scoring a score every time of either 18 or 19. Zero being the perfect score from a range from zero to ninety nine.
Taking the test on this new monitor from the first test a zero was achieved. If only a bit of fun it gave out a wee bit of confidence. Test link is below if you wish to try.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

I ended getting the Eizo Colouredge CS230.

Surprised the hell out of myself. I've taken this test on two previous occasions, each of those on my PC at work. I think the first time I got a 12 or thereabouts. The second time,...feeling quite confident,...I got about a 24 or something. So this time, using my MAC at home, I wasn't expecting much. However, my score was 0. Even so, there are a couple of squares that seem not to fit exactly, but when I move them they fit less. I think I need a drink. ;)

Surprised the hell out of myself. I've taken this test on two previous occasions, each of those on my PC at work. I think the first time I got a 12 or thereabouts. The second time,...feeling quite confident,...I got about a 24 or something. So this time, using my MAC at home, I wasn't expecting much. However, my score was 0. Even so, there are a couple of squares that seem not to fit exactly, but when I move them they fit less. I think I need a drink. ;)

If in doubt have a drink even if they don't fit they will look as if they do :D

After a quick test I got a lowly 53:oops::(

Well just about half way. I was suprised I got 18 first time as it looked fine. It is now easier to see when it is correct and amazed me how much a screen can differ .

Back