EOS 6D DSLR announced

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Canon have moved full frame down the range into a compact body with the new 20.2 Megapixel 6D.

canon6d_mini.jpg

Canon Professional Network - Canon announces full-frame EOS 6D DSLR

This is quite the announcement, you can now get the benefits of FF in a very light weight and compact body style, and at a more accessible price. $2,099. And it's got built in GPS for geo tagging, and built-in WiFi for file transfer and remote control!

EOS 6D - KEY FEATURES

• Full-frame 20.2 Megapixel sensor.
  • Tough, lightweight construction.
  • Max. ISO 25,600 (expandable to ISO 102,400).
  • 11-point AF sensitive down to -3EV.
  • GPS records your location.
  • WiFi file transfer and remote control.
  • Full HD video.

That looks incredibly like the original 5D. I honestly though it was one at first glance, only difference is the 6 and shape of the top.

You'll find it's a smaller size though Ben - just scaled down all around.

I just worked it out, that picture you have looks very different to the one on the official site, it think the one in your post has been "edited" by someone as it has different name badge (6d one) and control knob and the official one has holes for the mic. Also the plastic on the flash area has a different finish to the rest of the body. I think someone to a 5d mkI just changed the number and copied the flash area from a newer 5d.

Well spotted - I think that shot is a FAKE! :D

Here's the 6D vs the larger 7D

_l4c0348_0-622x437.jpg

I hate to say it but I think for a pure body-for-body comparison the Nikon D600 is a much better option.

dpreview sum it up nicely:
Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

Canon EOS 6D Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

I think it will be a big seller & the price difference between it and the 5D is greater than the D600 to D800 as well, if I were a full time Nikon shooter I would more than likely go for the 800 for the difference !
The big seller on the 6D is the WI-FI built in, approx £600 to add to any of there other range so all of a sudden not as expensive as it looks if you need WI-FI as some of our customers do who shoot tethered at present and keep pulling their cameras over at great expense.

Tempted to buy a 6D very soon :)

Has anyone here bought one or used one yet ?

I hate to say it but I think for a pure body-for-body comparison the Nikon D600 is a much better option.

dpreview sum it up nicely:
Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be.

Canon EOS 6D Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Unless of course you are all geared up for Canon then no point in looking at D600 Nikon, just a point & having now had a shoot with one I have to say it is very nice to use & it is about the size of a 60D body, if you shoot roomsets etc tethered to a computer then it is ideal as now wifi built in, we already have a studio trying it out as they spend a fortune on repairs to USB sockets having been damaged when someone pulls the lead out by accident walking past it.
Overall try cameras out in your own hands before you decide on a review alone as not always a true indication,but remember that shops are not internet browsing/demo places so try & stay loyal to your local photodealer, I am sure they will always do their best for you. I could tell tales re reviews when the gear has not been left very very long term with the writer !!! but that is not cricket LOL

Back