First shots from the Trip 35

John Allen

I'm impressed with this seemingly simple little camera. I think I'll keep it loaded with B&W film and grab it whenever I take any of the other cameras out for a day of shooting.

These are from the first roll I've scanned. I have another roll with similar shots that I'll be scanning today. Fujifilm Fujicolor 200 | Scanned on Epson V600 @ 2400ppi. The second shot has been cropped quite a bit and had some noise reduction done in LR.
maggie.jpg

scissors.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent results John . I am in fact shamed from such good scanned results. How long does a scan at that ppi take?
A single 35mm negative takes 35 seconds with the following settings in the Epson Scan software - Film / Color Negative Film / 24-bit Color - Using Dust Removal set to medium adds 10 seconds. Using ICE takes a little over 3 minutes. VueScan takes about 4X longer. Admittedly, I have very little experience with this scanner, so my opinion on scanning software isn't worth a whole lot. However, I do my PP in LR and PS, so I see no reason to spend a lot of time adjusting scans in the scanner software. I find the Epson software easier and quicker than VueScan even if it means a little more work in Photoshop.

Really excellent, John. The first is a cracker. What does the dog think of it? ;) The colours are good, and there's enough detail. Wonderful cameras for their price.
Thanks, Rob. These are wonderful little cameras for their time and price. The only problem I had was remembering to change the focus zone.

The dog has been mum about the picture. I'm not sure she has seen it yet. She lost her phone privileges after she ran up a big bill one month. Now, she has to sit down at the computer to go online.

A single 35mm negative takes 35 seconds with the following settings in the Epson Scan software - Film / Color Negative Film / 24-bit Color - Using Dust Removal set to medium adds 10 seconds. Using ICE takes a little over 3 minutes. VueScan takes about 4X longer. Admittedly, I have very little experience with this scanner, so my opinion on scanning software isn't worth a whole lot. However, I do my PP in LR and PS, so I see no reason to spend a lot of time adjusting scans in the scanner software. I find the Epson software easier and quicker than VueScan even if it means a little more work in Photoshop.
Thanks John.

Love the dog picture. What a tongue! :D It's great when you find a portable, simple camera you like to shoot.
Thanks, Brian. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to use. I guess that explains why so many of them sold and why Olympus kept making them for so many years. While I think it's a great camera in its class, I would probably choose an XA2 for a camera to carry with me at all times.

Thanks John.
I forgot to mention that these settings only give you an 8MP image. It's fine for 8x10 prints as long as the image isn't cropped too much, but it's not suitable for larger prints. On the other hand, it's way more than you need for an online image. The ones in this post are only about half a megapixel now that they've been downsized.

Trips are getting old now, and those selenium cells are beginning to stop working on some cameras. I guess there is a built-in obsolescence there.
I guess that's true of all the old cameras with selenium cells. Kind of sad when you think about it. I have read that they'll last a lot longer if you keep them covered. That's easy enough to do with a lens cap on a Trip. I'll have to see if I can find one.

I do not see why you need medium format after this John:rolleyes: all you have to do is go near enough. Good work.
Thanks, Ivar. The Trip is more of a collectible than a working camera. Even though I really like this camera I think I'd be more apt to use an OM-1, Pen F, or XA2 before I picked up the Trip. In fact, I am thinking about going out with all three of those cameras one day soon.

I see John. I just acquired a Nikon F100, I also have a Nikon 300 and a Canon 650, all analog and I may get my hand on an Olympus OM1, a 85mm/1,8, a 50mm all in an original small Olympus suitcase for just a little more than 100 dollars us. All in mint condition. The 85mm is the lovliest lens I have ever seen. A work of art. There is just one hassel, one guy has opted for it before me, but hasn't acted yet!:(

I see John. I just acquired a Nikon F100, I also have a Nikon 300 and a Canon 650, all analog and I may get my hand on an Olympus OM1, a 85mm/1,8, a 50mm all in an original small Olympus suitcase for just a little more than 100 dollars us. All in mint condition. The 85mm is the lovliest lens I have ever seen. A work of art. There is just one hassel, one guy has opted for it before me, but hasn't acted yet!:(
That is an awesome deal! The 85mm f/1.8 must be a 3rd-party lens. I'm pretty sure the only Olympus OM-series one is f/2. All of the 50mm Zuikos are good. There are several of them; an f/1.2, 1.4, 1.8, f/2 and 3.5 macros, as well as a 55mm f/1.2. I wish you luck on the deal. One problem I've discovered with those lenses is that people love to put them on the micro 4/3 digital cameras. The same is true for the Pen F lenses.

My mistake John, it is Olympus 85mm/2,0 original.
Even better. Most of the 85mm f/2 lenses on ebay go for more than $200. Almost all of the f/2 zuiko lenses go for several hundred dollars U.S.

Back