Fuji G617 - First Rolls

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Here are the test frames from the first 9 tools of Velvia - I spent a lot of frames bracketing, as I had no way of knowing what would work until my lab re-opened after New Year, and I was finally able to see the results.

I did keep careful notes of each shot - in a very traditional Moleskin notebook with a pen - seemed appropriate

Seems like +1EV to +2EV works best - at least with the Velvia - print film might be more forgiving.

11876505254_af7dbac5da_k.jpg

North Ponto Beach

11878175206_4e5d3aac9c_k.jpg

Mission Bay Twilight

11888695665_e21bf8c22d_k.jpg

Twilight at the Y

11890395296_1355842c50_k.jpg

Winter at the Beach

11907976053_a8e83b035e_k.jpg

The Big Bay

11915338046_12a757eda9_k.jpg

Coronado Bridge

11916769074_09e66933fc_k.jpg

Ballpark Bridge

11920097714_0a6f9c9912_k.jpg

North Park Christmas

11921247196_3cb3e4105e_k.jpg

Golden Rays

The V700 scanner is doing a good job - I upgraded the neg carrier to one with anti-Newton-Ring glass inserts from Better Scanning - they help keep the long pano negs flat during scanning.

And I've settled on 2400 PPI as the optimum scan resolution - huge files and plenty of detail.

I seem to spend hours scanning and de-dusting my images any way - Come back digital! ;)

The Coronado Bridge shot was at least 3 stops under exposed - hence the uber-saturated colors. A little OTT, but it looked kind of cool with some post processing. I'll be going back to shoot it properly.

I'll also re-visit North Park, and shoot the sign when it's lit-up at dusk - see if I can't get myself run over!

Stunning set there Chris. I especially like the movement on Winter Beach and the framing of North Park. These are going to make some tasty prints!

The Better Scanning stuff is good, isn't it?
Thanks Pete - I'm trying to get my head around how I can use the panoramic format - outside of the usual landscape shots - will take a while to really dial it into my brain I think.

The Better Scanning stuff is first rate - I was a little hesitant to spend the extra, but the online reviews pushed me over the edge, and now I have it I'm glad I jumped.

I get through a lot of Scotch Tape now though!

Meh...seen better....NOT! Stunning. Me want one! Me want one!
Rob, I'm amazed at how good an 80's camera and film can be - but I suppose I shouldn't be - we just got accustomed to lower expectations with digital!

best advert for a 617 that i have ever seen

best advert for a 617 that i have ever seen
Thanks Davie - I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this camera - I watched Peter Lik using Linhoff 617, and liked the wideness, but I never looked into what was out there that might be affordable. It's probably the best bang for the buck I've seen with a camera.

Tick tick tick ............
took me 24 hrs to get it, then I saw Paul's post :D

Don't tell me - Tick tick tick BOOOOM!

These are great, Chris, really nice but I can see what you mean, it is such a great camera but it has quite a specific purpose. But then again I am sure you have plenty of opportunities to go wide near you.
Thanks Paul - I'm building an ideas list of possible shots to try and get myself rolling

Thanks Davie - I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this camera - I watched Peter Lik using Linhoff 617, and liked the wideness, but I never looked into what was out there that might be affordable. It's probably the best bang for the buck I've seen with a camera.

i think there is a couple of far eastern 617's out there and is the Blad Xpan a 617?

i think there is a couple of far eastern 617's out there and is the Blad Xpan a 617?
The Blad Xpan/Fuji TX-1 uses 35mm film to give you a 24 X 65mm neg - so almost a 617 ratio, but much smaller in area.

These are awesome Chris! True, you probably have the landscapes (and the sun) over there, but you have really made the most of this. I couldn't see your images from work at lunchtime, so I Googled the camera instead. I imagine it isn't easy to use either :)
Thanks Lesley - The G617 requires thought - so a real challenge for me! :D

Truly impressive Chris. I had heard the V700 scanner is a superb one. Nearly went for it but ended up myself with the Canon 9000F as it was cheaper and enough for me.

Truly impressive Chris. I had heard the V700 scanner is a superb one. Nearly went for it but ended up myself with the Canon 9000F as it was cheaper and enough for me.
Thanks Julian - I do need to tweak the ride height of my neg carrier to get it optimal for sharpness - the aftermarket model has adjustable feet to allow for fine tuning, but I'll need to put some time aside for this as it's a manual process.

Back