Fuji Talk

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
From THIS website:

"While chatting with the Fuji rep, I asked if he had any news about the release of an updated X Pro 1, and on the other lenses Fujifilm is planning to release that are already showing on the Lens Road Map. According to him:

There won’t be an X-Pro 2 anytime soon, probably not before late 2014 or early 2015. He also doesn’t believe in an X-Pro 1S update. The X-Pro 1 is the flagship model and will remain so for another year. Fuji is concentrating on releasing more lenses to offer a wider choice to photographers.
Speaking of lenses, he also told me another interesting rumor about a constant f/2.8 zoom that could be announced in early 2014!
Finally, he believes that Fujifilm will also make a full frame version of the X Pro1 – not soon, but he believes that the company will start to head in that direction."

Fuji reps always seem a bit more loose lipped ... I've had similar stuff from them at focus ... I think they might be told to speculate with people. Lessen the impact of rumours, keep sales of cameras going. Dunno...
There is something different with them anyway, if you asked a Nikon rep a question about a forthcoming camera they would probably say "we aren't told anything".
Still, interesting non the less...

Im sure I read that the image circle of the first x series lenses was too small to fullframe ... It would be interesting to see if any of the later ones, or forthcoming ones, was bigger. 2015 is a long way off in cameras, maybe they are holding fire whilst they develop a full frame xpro.

ive heard Sony have a fullframe csc on the horizon ... If fuji waited until 2015 to release a xpro2 and then another 2-3 years for a full frame version they could be 5 years behind Sony in a market where they are really the two big guns ...

Just thinking out loud really ... Things are interesting in the would of digital cameras these days I think

if the guys knows what he's talking about it seems like a good deal from fuji.

a full frame would be nice, but i like the smaller, compact, lighter x-pro 1. weight and size was why i wanted away from the canon 5d mk ii.

other than a few minor annoyances, i don't see the need for an x-pro 2 or x-e2 yet. i think developing their lens lineup is more important. i'm waiting on the 10-20ishmm and some extension tubes and something above 200mm..

i'd heard a rumore about a constant aperture zoom, but i figured f/3.5 or something like that, wasn't expecting an f/2.8. :D

We'll all be shooting full frame in five years...

In 2007, I would have agreed. Now, not so much. There has been great progress in sensor design since then. I shoot my X100 and X-Pro1 at ISO6400 without hesitation, and the images are if anything, slightly better than my full-frame Nikon D700. My printer has worn out, and I am debating whether to stay at 13" or go for a 17" printer. Only if I had the room for a 44" printer and was making money with my prints, would a full-frame D800 show a bit of advantage at maximum size. A 24" printer would handle both the Fuji and D800 prints equally well. Clearly, screen viewing—whether directly or via the web—now is far more frequent than prints. With film, it was either projection or a print and prints were ubiquitous.

My D700 body alone weighs 995g without a lens. My XP1 with all three lenses is only 967g. Being full-frame, the Nikon lenses too are much heavier for the same angular coverage. However, the real penalty comes with the nature of the camera. It is big and obvious—pull it out of the bag and everyone is aware that photography is about to take place. Trip the shutter and it is heard for miles. The little Fuji cameras are as close to invisible as any cameras I have ever used. The X100 is silent and the X-Pro1 is whisper quiet. Last night I was a guest at a friend's mothers day feast. I shot hundreds of shots without a single image being posed, or any awareness of the camera to be seen—life as it is lived.

As films improved, medium-format took the place in the mainstream over the large-format cameras. Later, 35mm dominated. Progress is much faster with digital. It only took from 2007 to 2010 for the APS-C in my X100 to equal the sensor in my D700. With film, you can clearly see the advantage of medium-format or large format over 35mm, since both are analogue. The advantage of the medium-format sensor is a whole lot less and both full-frame and APS-C is gaining on it. We are fortunate here in Alberta to have a surfeit of excellent camera stores. The Camera Store in Calgary is one of the best for both price and customer service, with top quality staff. They did a shoot-out between a Hasselblad and a D800. While the Hasselflex did have the edge, it was remarkably narrow. So too is the APS-C sensor quickly gaining on full frame.

D800 vs Medium Format with Roth and Ramberg - YouTube

Digital photography is the definition of a "disruptive technology". Companies with a century of history were wiped out in a breathtakingly short while. The revolution happened almost overnight, and no one was ready. For the first decade, companies worked at understanding how to build and market the equipment. It was fascinating to see it go from its primitive beginnings, through a very rocky adolescence up to the first camera that actually felt mature—finished, rather than a work in progress. On paper, the D300 did not look much more advanced than the D200, but in the field, the D300 just did everything better. It was the first camera I owned that felt mature.

Once digital camera manufacture was aced, attention has been on refinement, and the sensor has got the bulk of attention. ISO6400 is the ISO400 of a decade back. With the APS-C D200, ISO1600 was barely usable, and I bought the D700 purely to open up the night. We are still very early in the history of digital cameras, and I fully expect to see even greater strides in sensor development. In five years, even the APS-C sensor may seem a bit past its time, with even smaller sensors equalling or eclipsing it. Five years is a long time in digital terms.

My bet would be MF X-Trans

Why try and compete with Canon / Nikon when you could compete with Haselblad and undercut the price by 75%

Fuji have a long MF tradition and they already make MF lenses (for the Haselblad H series digital cameras)

Just me speculating - I have no info to back it up :cool:

The larger the sensor the fewer that will fit on a wafer, and the more that will fail and need to be trashed. Last I heard, DALSA was working with the RED movie camera company toward some medium-format sensors, for very high resolution theatrical motion picture production. If I remember correctly, a 6×9 was mentioned. A digital 6×9 Texas Leica would be wondrous, and the price would send a Hasselflex buyer into cardiac arrest.

Seitz does have a 160MP 6×17 camera on the market, but they use a fast scanning mechanism, instead of a one-shot sensor. It also is from DALSA and certainly helps keep the cost low. It can also be used on a panoramic camera. I expect an X-Trans sensor in this size would exceed the value of the GNP of many smaller developing countries.

overview

There are two factors that will drive sales of full frame small form factor cameras if (when) they come ...
1. Gear heads - more/bigger is bound to be better for them
2. Legacy lens users - bare in mind, it seems the Sony nex system almost entierly survives it seems on its superb support for legacy lenses.
I would love a full frame nex, I'm pretty much holding on to my angenioux 28mm for the day I can buy one...
All those little lenses out there made for Leica mounts et al... You only have to spend a short amount of time on RFF to see how many people use that gear ... Many, I'm sure would love a smaller cheaper higher speced back up to their Leica Digital m's

My bet would be MF X-Trans

Why try and compete with Canon / Nikon when you could compete with Haselblad and undercut the price by 75%

Fuji have a long MF tradition and they already make MF lenses (for the Haselblad H series digital cameras)

Just me speculating - I have no info to back it up :cool:

I tend to agree with Chris on this one. Fuji if anything seems to be less inclined to follow what the market is doing and conversely more in tune with photography from perspective that if is for lack of a better term "traditional." They still make a MF folder, look at the Klasse cameras, and then the X series. The X Series are the antithesis of the NEX cameras. I'm not saying one is better than the other, it's just a very different way to approach photography.

One thing I find is that too many people view this as "the market will dictate" this or that. There is always a market for different things (see Leica). It may just not be the biggest market share. You don't have to be Canon or Nikon to stay in business. Fuji seems to have a very good idea of what they want to do and it just doesn't necessarily correspond to the broadest possible market segment.

I'm not sure if FF is necessary for what they are trying to do. I think they will at some point release a MF X style camera. They have the knowledge necessary to make the lenses for it. To some degree I think the FF thing is a bit overblown on the internet. It's a great format and I still have my D700 (although I want to sell it). I read for years on the Pentax Forum that any day now every DSLR would be a FF camera. I still don't see that happening.

As for the X Pro 2, I would be on it being early 2014 after they have all the lenses on the road map out. I just think that Fuji rep was guessing.

Their release schedule has been CES for new announcements followed by release before the busy summer months to maximize sales.

So when CES rolls around next year we'll know - I'll try and attend again, just in case :D

Back