Getting uninspired. However...

Julian Tanase

Sometimes I find myself in the midst of a lack of inspiration, and although I have no idea why, I recognize it as something that does occur every now and then, in all fields. I mean, this is almost cyclical for me. It would appear that after a couple of films shot with “meh” results, I get this feeling of “ease up, you move too fast”, a niggling sort of vibe. It feels like I should not commit to the impiety of touching a camera for a time. And I let it rest.

It’s like when you have a girlfriend who tells you to take some time separated. It can work both ways, but if you’re lucky, you get that “desire-o-meter” charging up and get ready to be absorbed and lived and experienced again. It’s an accumulating effect, if you will, charging your batteries sort of thing. As a rule, you must refrain yourself to use the “desire-o-meter” while it’s charging. Just let it be, you’ll know when it’s ready to be tapped in fully.

If you believe you’re not ready to shoot again, then you’re not, simple enough. Because if you do, the results will probably send you deeper into that pit of uncertainty and “meh” results. At least this is what happens, at times, with my own photography. I challenge myself at times regarding this rule of “just let it accumulate” and insist to use the camera; the results are most of the times uninspired, less than average, waste of valuable time.

However, all is not lost. Just wait. Refresh your eyes, walk a mile without a camera, visit places you know very well, observe people, do whatever you want, as long as it does not involve cameras or such. And then, after while, the film will talk to you again. Listen and follow its calling, for it is time. Time for photography.

If you do not believe it, check these pics; they tell a story which (for me) validates the theory exposed above, both taken with OM1 and Fomapan 100.

om1_0016.jpg

scan_0002.jpg

I get your thoughts entirely. We (husband and I) have taken a considerable time off from photography. Lack of inspiration. We took a three week holiday to the UK. (got back last week.) Getting ready to get the photos on to the PC in hopes we got some inspiration back.

As for your photos. Seems you are on the right track, Keep it going !

Back