Hi from London

Martin Carlin

Well I guess that I'm in the meet and greet section. So Hi All I'm Martin from London and I have a Problem!
I have been in love with photography since a very young age. Where I used to help my dad in his Darkroom. Well I say darkroom It was our bathroom but after we were all washed and ready for bed He would transform it into a wonderland that was his darkroom.
So I basically grew up with a camera in me hand but later in life moved to dark side of Digital and Just plodded on Until recently when clearing dads loft I came across his old darkroom stuff.
So being Me I cleaned up what I could salvage and went and bought some film and started shooting again with my Daughter. Ive set up a darkroom in our bathroom now and the memories are flooding back and my daughter I think is feeling how I felt all those years ago.
better shut up now well thats a bit about me.

Thanks
Martin

Hi rob Im shooting various film Cameras Pentax K1000, Pentax P30, and Pentax Sp 1000 all 35mm also have a couple of Medium formats in the form of Zeiss ikon and another one I can't think of the name as you may tell I prefer sticking with 35mm mainly.
Digital I have a canon 5D MK3 and 7D Mk1.
I'm actually really considering selling all my digital and solely showing B+W film.
When I get round to it I will up load some pics Just ordered 30m roll of Ilford Delta 400 so hopefully will get some nice image out of that.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Nice cameras. My first film camera was a K1000. It's probably lying in a drawer somewhere, but I loved that camera at the time. Solid. I also had a Zeiss Ikon, but never got the best out of it.

My Zeiss has seen better days for sure Rob The K1000 is solid thats what my daughter is beginning to learn on it certainly slows you down and makes you think about your photography.
If you ever want to pass it on to some one I would probably take it for the daughter even if its not working its handy for spares.

Well hello and welcome to you Martin, from a rainy day in southern Norway.
I myself have photographed since 1969 I think it was and have been through many stages, many brands of cameras, films etc and ended up in here, but in the digital division. No offence to either process or whoever is stationed where, but due to our common love for photography, I am sure you'll be pleased with this crowd. Mostly all the time:D

Heres a couple of shots from the olympus XA2 which was the first camera I put a roll in after finding the gear in the loft. Nothing good but this roll means everything to me.
Whats the upload size on here I keep getting error to large ?

Thanks Rob bought a scanner of eBay to do negs but have scanned these at high res will have to take them into lightroom and output a smaller file size.
Thanks Ivar I have not got anything against digital either I don't think I would be comfortable shooting a wedding on film at present but I have truly fallen back in love with the process of shooting film and seeing and being able to hold your negative after developing it. Its just a special feeling.

Well managed to do it I think so here goes
Camera Olympus XA2 (basically a point and shoot)
Film Ilford HP5 400
Development Ilford Ilfosol 3 6 1/2 mins
Scanned Epson V370

mum1.jpg test009.jpg test014.jpg test015.jpg test025.jpg test026.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, the old XA series - much respected here. @Brian Moore will be along soon to verify.

Nice shots - real ordinary (in the best sense) photography. Your mother? She keeps a tidy house. Nice exposure and grain.

Yea me mother it was first film and the only camera that was working at the time. To be honest I just wanted to shoot the whole spool so I could develop it. So there wasn't much thought went into the actual shots I just wanted to set up the darkroom again lol.

I agree with Rob, Martin and I really like the documentary feel to them. Your familiarity has made you quite invisible I think. I really like the last shot and find these sorts of ordinary details quite fascinating.
Thanks for the kind words Pete.

Three, four and five are to me the best ones also in regard to sharpness and documentary. Those small trivial moments shall become valuable as well as they show the environment of the person involved. My kind of photography I'd say. Well done!

Well I guess that I'm in the meet and greet section. So Hi All I'm Martin from London and I have a Problem!
I have been in love with photography since a very young age. Where I used to help my dad in his Darkroom. Well I say darkroom It was our bathroom but after we were all washed and ready for bed He would transform it into a wonderland that was his darkroom.
So I basically grew up with a camera in me hand but later in life moved to dark side of Digital and Just plodded on Until recently when clearing dads loft I came across his old darkroom stuff.
So being Me I cleaned up what I could salvage and went and bought some film and started shooting again with my Daughter. Ive set up a darkroom in our bathroom now and the memories are flooding back and my daughter I think is feeling how I felt all those years ago.
better shut up now well thats a bit about me.

Thanks
Martin
Welcome, Martin. I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your development labor. I develop my own film too, almost always using Rodinal as the developer. (The only other developer I've ever used is Caffenol.) I like your XA2 shots. I shoot one or the other of my XA cameras very often indeed. I almost always have one in my pocket.

Thanks Brian Im not sure about the XA2 it seems to me theres not really much you can do with it or more likely I don't know what I could get out of it.

Back