Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
Tell Them You Dont Like It And Give Your Reason Why
Tell Them You Dont Like It End Of Subject
Tell Them You Do Like It As Not To Offend Or Upset Even Though You Dont Like It
Keep Quiet & Say Nothing

Feel Free To Discuss As Well As Add You Vote

Last edited:
Tell them you don't and give reasons in a constructive manner than highligh the things that you do like but what could be improved ...
I rearly don't like photos
I'm often underwhelmed or uninterested ... If that the case I often say nothing
Although that's not to say if I don't respond im uninterested, somtimes I feel that other peoples comments are sufficient ...
At the end of the day we can't like everything
What's important in photography is that an image inspires reaction ...
Negative reaction is, for me, as good as positive, it's part of the learning curve
If I can inspire someone to react to what I do I'm happy, whatever the outcome!

I would encourage everyone on this forum to be repectful but take the first course of action!
It's really what this sort of forum is about, saying somthing is good is pointless if you really don't like it
Just saying it's crap is pointless too
Keeping quiet is fine ... We don't all have the time to comment on everything... But I'd encourage a reaction when it inspires one!
If you just find it dull then fine move on ...

I can't add much ot what Hamosh has already said. I would generally opt for the first course of action. However, for certain subjects I have no feeling either way in many cases and so I don't usually comment. It is not that I don't appreciate the skill etc involved, it just is not a type of image that moves me to comment.

Over the years, quite a number of aspiring photographers have come asking for advice on how to improve their pictures. I like being helpful, but I came to find that this was rarely the actual reason—they wanted validation, not advice. No perfect photograph has ever been made, and all can take a bit of analysis. On the other hand, everyone reacts to an image based upon their own biases.

While I see people in forums and on photo sharing sites saying "C&C welcome", the comments and criticism are generally along the lines of "nice capture", "excellent light", "fine composition", "lovely colour" and of course "Thank you for sharing."

I expect that the only place where honest discussion and constructive comments can take place is in the classroom of a formal photography course.

Several people on this forum have pointed out some interesting positive aspects of a posted photo. Then they say something like,"I wonder if the image might be....." (you add the suggestion) Seem like a nice way to be positive while still pointing out something that the viewer might do different. In any case I like the friendly way of critiquing a photo.

I'm with Ralph - positive suggestion :)

This forum has a pretty good variety of photogs on it and more are joining. This is good. Many of the posted photos are outside my "element" and I might not comment on them. But I do thoroughly enjoy seeing this interesting diversity. Everyone has given me ideas and way to change or improve my shots.

Yeah, to expand on that a little ... Positive comment, negative observation, positive close ... It's a basic psychological trick that I would encourage, although it's a little odd bringing it into the light for me as I use it all the time ...
That said, I don't see it as a psychological trick I use it because it's just a way to be nice to each other ... And it is difficult to use unless you actually mean what your saying!

I'm pleased to hear your getting a lot out of the forum Ralph, even from stuff outside your choice subject matter!

TBH, I've always got a lot from looking at other people's photos. If I don't like whatever I'm looking at, it's probably because the subject or technique is something that doesn't interest me. Yes, I'll post bland "good shot" "good capture" "nice angle" etc on stuff that makes me go "Oooo."

As someone who's never been taught photography "properly" (most of what I picked up was by looking at work on here and on Daz's old Finepixels site), I find it difficult to offer constructive criticism, because, quite frankly, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I know what I like. That's why I keep my gob shut when it comes down to that. I think we can all learn from each other and it can be good to look at other people's picture for this. (It can also be totally demoralising as well! :D)

So, a big thank you to all of you who've been gentle with me over the years, who have offered me encouragement, answered my questions and generally helped me raise my game. I was told after the recent trip to Paris, that I've got "such a good eye for photography." I don't for a minute think that it's true, but I've learnt a lot of decent stuff from people on the two most friendly photography forums that have ever existed, and it's helped me enormously to be able to take a reasonable picture.

People like Hamish and Darren should be praised for their efforts in creating a friendly community of like-minded people who are generously prepared to share their skills and techniques with each other. I've always appreciated people constructively criticising my work because that's how I've managed to get better. I also used to laugh at people (especially on the Main Fuji site) who'd come on and tell me how crap my pics were and that theirs were so much better. I remember doing a multiple shot containing about 6 different elements of my daughters pretending to play hide-and seek. Some dipstick came on and said he didn't like it because "This just looks like a quick snap of kids playing" which was the whole intention of the thing! A fine example of subtlety getting lost under an enormous ego.

If I don't like whatever I'm looking at, it's probably because the subject or technique is something that doesn't interest me. Yes, I'll post bland "good shot" "good capture" "nice angle" etc on stuff that makes me go "Oooo."

I find it difficult to offer constructive criticism, because, quite frankly, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I know what I like. That's why I keep my gob shut when it comes down to that.

I couldn't agree more Grez.
You've just wrote more or less what I was thinking when I first read this topic.

For me it's not so much that I would go as far as to say that I dislike anyones photographs for pretty much most of the time. As a viewer my appreciation of an image is highly subjective and my tastes can be on what some may say the artistic side. There are many images that are not to my taste or that I don't find particularly emotive but if I can find a positive aspect or think that I can add a constructive criticism then I do. Some images I just like and I try to say why when I post that I do. Others I don't post anything if I feel that I don't have much to add.

Is that a bad thing?

We need a 'What don't you like about this image' category

Sometimes brutal honest is needed also, I've seen plenty of 'great shot' comments when it's obviously underexposed/out of focus etc.. and I've only learnt anything from the people who are strong enough to say "nice light, shame about the missed focus.."

So we could just use the phrase 'To be brutally honest..." and then deliver the bad news.

LMAO! :D

I've received great advice from guys here, and lots of encouragement. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it, as it is definitely helping me! As for my comments to others, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I just let my enthusiasm run wild ;-)

Back