Internet Issues!

Paul Lange

Since July I have had problems with my internet that have only just been fixed. It started with a crackle sound on the line that got progressively worse until phone and internet were unusable. It took Talktalk (the provider) around 2 weeks to stop telling me it was a problem in my house and accept that it was a faulty BT (BT own all the lines to the exchange) line outside. This was fairly obvious in my mind as I had recently had the same issue a few months before that turned out to be moisture in the BT lines outside.

Finally after another 2 weeks people came to fix the line but it seems they didn't dig to expose all of the faulty line! Eventually BT fixed all the faults on their lines but I was left with very slow internet. It took many weeks of Talktalk faffing about until it was finally fixed.

It transpires that if you have a fault on your line the server detects this as data errors and automatically reduces your internet speed until the errors are reduced, I was reduced to 0.6M. What really ****** me off was that after the line was fixed and weeks of phone calls and being made to test my line speed with different computers, routers, filters and software Talktalk did not make the simple cognitive leap that the speed reduction was down to them not cancelling the reduction they imposed. It was only when I got to eventually talk to someone who knew what he was doing the issue was fixed within 24 hours.

If you have had any issues with bad connections on your phone lines it is likely the error correction has kicked in and reduced your speed and not been reset! I wonder how people don't get the full speed they could?

This is the problem with large companies ... Lack of proper training!
We had problems with our internet at work
We are primarily a web design company, I'm sure you can imagine it was less than ideal!
It took me talking to an open zone man in the street to get it fixed! Barmy!

Paul - sorry to hear about the issue and the pain - glad it's fixed though.

Son #1 had the same issue with his cable TV/Internet

He had a sequence of different providers, non of whom could diagnose the issue of poor picture and slow Net.

eventually he went with Time Warner, who sent around someone who knew what they were doing - and found water in the cable from an incorrectly installed connector - it had been that way for years.

took him 10 mins to fix - no more problems!

Back