Iowa State Capitol--Blue Sky Crop

Brian Moore

After seeing my closely-cropped version of the Iowa State Capitol Building I realized how visually confining it was for me and how I preferred a version of it that was less closely cropped. I shot the original image from across a street. Here I have cropped the street away, and also the right and left sides of the building. But I have retained the blue sky and clouds above, which appeals to me as a contrast to the golden hues of the reflection.

It is definitely very striking and I like the colour contrast a lot and the sense of scale created by the trees. As an image I prefer the previous version though as it has an element ion confusion about it whereas this one is more obvious.
Thanks for your comments, Pete. For me, at least at the moment, this one benefits from the framing elements: the top and bottom framed by the sky and grass, the sides by the trees. It gives me a stronger sense of completeness. Plus I like the blue/gold contrast. But I almost always find it difficult to select one picture over another. Thanks again, Pete.

Back