LA Auto Show 2010

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Holiday here in the US today, so took the day to drive up to LA, and take some shots of the LA Auto Show :)

5D2 - 28-70 f2.8L - ISO500

Dialed up +1/3 to +2/3 exposure compensation to counteract the underexposure caused by the spot lighting on the cars.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I love the look of the green muscle car but you know it's gonna have really bad milage and will be completely useless unless you only want to drive in a straight line.

How did you get the very commercial look? Was the lighting at show good enough or did you have to use a flash with a diffuser or something?

Paul - lighting was good at the show, and I'd learned from previous years that using standard flash just doesn't work well on shiny cars. LOL

I was careful with exposure, and as mentioned typically dialed in +1/3 to +2/3 to compensate for the high spots of light on the cars.

Bit of tweaking later in Photoshop, usually a little 'fill' added and the black level adjusted up - the 5D2 did a great job of white balance, so didn't have to tweak colour at all.

Cleaned up the Merc shot after a few suggestions - square crop - removed the people on the LHS - got rid on the pesky reflections of the spotlight on the bonnet and windscreen.

web.jpg

I love the SLS shot, especially now youve removed the people, im sure Mercedes would be very happy to use a shot like yours :)

And that 911 Hybrid looks stunning, its about time car companies advanced with technology that can keep the enviromentalists and the petrol heads both happy!

I love the SLS shot, especially now youve removed the people, im sure Mercedes would be very happy to use a shot like yours :)

And that 911 Hybrid looks stunning, its about time car companies advanced with technology that can keep the enviromentalists and the petrol heads both happy!

i read somewhere about the 911 hybrid ... if its the same one, its the one that takes a lot of the power usually lost in breaking and puts it back into the engine as some form of boost of power out of the corner ... im not going to claim i know a lot about that sort of thing, but it sounds pretty nifty! they apparently did a press show of some sort and let some people drive it ... apparently not many people were impressed to start with, but it turned out they weren't driving it hard enough... the system its self only really works if you rag the **** out of it ... pretty cool i thought :)

Just read a write up on the Jag in the new Virgin Media iPad magazine - Project.

Apart from the article being a real tour de force in interactive media, the info on the car is even more amazing than I'd imagined!

Zero emissions, no traditional engine, just two micro jet turbines!

The turbines generate electricity to power batteries and 4 electric motors, one on each wheel.

Producing 778 hp and a whopping 1,180 lb-ft of torque!!

0-60 mph in just 3.4 seconds and reaches a top speed of 205 mph.

Now that's a hybrid I'd drive!! :)

Just read a write up on the Jag in the new Virgin Media iPad magazine - Project.

Apart from the article being a real tour de force in interactive media, the info on the car is even more amazing than I'd imagined!

Zero emissions, no traditional engine, just two micro jet turbines!

The turbines generate electricity to power batteries and 4 electric motors, one on each wheel.

Producing 778 hp and a whopping 1,180 lb-ft of torque!!

0-60 mph in just 3.4 seconds and reaches a top speed of 205 mph.

Now that's a hybrid I'd drive!! :)

Have you just made that up? ... that sounds quite amazing!

Back